Metropolis-Dream Theater- 2nd attempt

Rate this topic

OK, so here it is,, In all it's glory. Still a bit quacky in spots, and I made some breathing mistakes that led me to inhale at the worst possible times (lol). It's a work in process. I think that it is much better than my first try. I cut out the middle as not to waste time. Also, the mix blows. It is the best I can do with what I have at home. Cheers!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12492646&q=hi

I do have to agree, the mix could be more balanced than this. A little too vocally prominent for an album release. But this is a working track for you so that is forgiven. :lol:

YOU thought you were too quacky. Good thing you were wrong about that. This is the strongest head voice I have heard from you so far. If you could take my advice, which is presumptuous of me, I know, quack the living daylights out of it and then back off, just a hair. Dude, you are one or two decibels away from being as loud as I am in the upper end. Quit holding back and go for it.

And it is definitely better than before for power and fullness. And this is a tough song because it is all in the passaggios of both baritone and tenor.

The question I have and would like to see, is for you to work this range you are opening into Drop Head stuff. Might that change your song-writing? Okay, so that's a side question. But man, you are really sounding good. Next thing I know, you will put your own cover of "Child in Time" and blow everyone away.

Surely, doest thou rock.

Thanks Ron :) You are awesome. Ya know, it sounded more "quacky" to my ears when I sang it than it does on playback. Interesting. Anyway, I am prolly the most proud of the "ringy-ness" of some of those higher notes. YAY Me! lol. Anyway, I'll do some more training and try it again in a few months.

I meant to add that the higher notes had more ring and less of the "falsetto" that you had before. And true enough, we do not often hear ourselves as others hear us. So, when you thought you were too quacky while actually singing it, it sound nearly spot on to me.

Of course, I am from Texas, where native speakers have more twang than you ever dreamed of.

:)

Hehe cool song choice! I don't think it's too quacky in general. To be honest in some parts It could get EVEN quackier and it would be cool. Like going full Judas Priest on those high notes. :P It's just that at some parts it sounds like you're letting go a bit early. Like you could stretch it a bit more before entering a lighter coordination.

And I'm not sure if Labrie heavily belts these notes. I think you probably took the correct approach in holding back slightly. :)

Hey man. Been working on bridging early . I can't get into the right head voice set up bridging late. I know I sound a bit weak in the lower head tones still, but I'm working on it. Last night I discovered a way to get into a good head setup and may record this again soon. Thanks for listening!

I think it was awesome! I love DT, and listened to your song two or three times because I really enjoyed listening to it, and that's a cool compliment haha.

I have listened to a cover you did of Stratovarius some time ago, and I think your headvoice work is getting better and better. We have a similar issue with our headvoice, and that is vocal folds adduction so we can sound "fuller", I'm glad you are progressing on that matter :D

Keith, by the way, I've been looking for a backing track of this song for a while, could you send me the one you have, please?

I'd really appretiate it.

Love your voice Keith! Love the "huskiness", it's not an easy song to sing that's for sure.

Where did you find the instrumental of metropolis?

A group of crazy awesome people stuck it on youtube lol. It is sooo hard for me still to sing it. Thanks for listening man, and for the compliments!

I think it was awesome! I love DT, and listened to your song two or three times because I really enjoyed listening to it, and that's a cool compliment haha.

I have listened to a cover you did of Stratovarius some time ago, and I think your headvoice work is getting better and better. We have a similar issue with our headvoice, and that is vocal folds adduction so we can sound "fuller", I'm glad you are progressing on that matter :D

Keith, by the way, I've been looking for a backing track of this song for a while, could you send me the one you have, please?

I'd really appretiate it.

Hay, thanks for listening, and for the compliments! Positive reinforcement is always nice! I used a "tube downloader" to get it from Youtube. It may be too large to mail, but I can try. If you and Phil shoot me an email at keith_goehner@yahoo.com, I'll try and send it out to ya!

Thanks Keith, but when I get around to a dream theatre cover I want to do Surrounded (because it's nice and short) off the images and words album.

Have you found an instrumental for that?

I think so. might not be the greatest backing track, But I have it lol.

And it should be noted, seriously, what a humble and gracious man Keith is. He is in a band that really does perform on stage in front of people in various states of inebriation or sobriety, depending on your perspective, his band already has one released album, and he also goes to school for, I think, the study of law. And yet, he is always ready to extend a helping hand to anyone, squeezing a little more time out of an already busy day. It's a kind of magic .....

You need some more "meat" here, Keith, you need to add more weight and some more chest, bring up more chest, more support and more weight to your tone. It sounds a little falsetto-ish and quacky but you are definately making progress. I don´t know but if i compare this clip to your live performances i feel there is a big difference, in your live performances you are sounding more full and more chesty. Keep up the good work, Keith.

Keith - Sounded very nice. A great song from the early Dream Theater that I love. That's a tough song to sing, you're on the right track starting with a lighter weight as a basis. I think the more you sing it the more weight will develop. I think you've got a great handle on the rhythmical phrasing and style. And you're vibrato is just about perfect for Dream Theater.

You need some more "meat" here, Keith, you need to add more weight and some more chest, bring up more chest, more support and more weight to your tone. It sounds a little falsetto-ish and quacky but you are definately making progress. I don´t know but if i compare this clip to your live performances i feel there is a big difference, in your live performances you are sounding more full and more chesty. Keep up the good work, Keith.

It could be the mix . That video is 2 years old lol. The dream theater cover is a week old. I was going for a light registration cause that's what JL dies... especially now. Thanks for listening!

Keith - Sounded very nice. A great song from the early Dream Theater that I love. That's a tough song to sing, you're on the right track starting with a lighter weight as a basis. I think the more you sing it the more weight will develop. I think you've got a great handle on the rhythmical phrasing and style. And you're vibrato is just about perfect for Dream Theater.

Thanks man. Yeah, the song is a monster! I've just learned a few head voice configurations that aren't so tiring, so I'm gonna master them and try again in a few weeks. I also gained a few half steps in my range suddenly lol. Thanks for listening bro.

I don't know the original... so it's difficult to comment in that context.

It's all well articulated, and in tune, which is great!

But...

1. it sounds like you are holding back a lot to me, but that might the the required style.

2. a lot of it sounds like falsetto to me where head voice would be nicer, but that might be the required style. To my taste falsetto is a special effect to be used once in a blue moon. It also sounds to me like you are swapping between falsetto and head voice for different words within a line in places, which is odd, but it may be my hearing.

Kevin Richards has some good videos on his youtube channel about head voice versus falsetto.

But, dont take my criticism to heart, you may have hit it just how you intended....