Need help with my screaming voice

Rate this topic

A7force

I am the lead singer for a metal band and this past week my screaming voice hasn't been up to par with what it normally is. I can usually do very smooth high and low screams but all this week they have been gravely and harsh. This has messed with my recent recording session and I have a show tomorrow. I need to get my screaming voice back to the way it was but don't know how. My normal clean singing voice is completely unaffected. It's just my screaming voice. Any help?

maybe you are singing too much from the throat and not using enough support? I know way back in the day, like when I was around 14-15 (I'm 22 now) if I tried to growl/scream I would just end up coughing. Eventually on my own I learned how to "growl/scream from your ab/belly" and even though I literally have not growled/screamed in years I can still do somewhat decent extreme vocals, though I've always had to rely more on the mic to get real power above speech level. Maybe with proper technique (you could check out the Melissa Cross dvds) a person can perform extreme vocals at a loud volume without hurting yourself?

EDIT: Also, if this means anything I've never been able/have liked doing "inhales", I've always been an exhaler.

I always exhale. I've been doing screaming vocals for about 5 years now and this is the first time they have messed up this bad. I've always used my diaphragm to get the force I need. My screams are very loud and clean when they are working correctly but for some reason they have become gravely just out of nowhere this past week. I haven't done anything different than I normally do.