Question about lip rolls

Rate this topic

fortheo

HI everyone, just a quick question about lip rolls.

for the past 5 months or so lip rolls have been a consistent part of my vocal routine, however I just recently noticed that a lot of air flow comes out of my nostrils while I lip roll. It doesn't really affect my actual lip rolls cause I do them just fine and have progressed a lot with them, however the fact that all this air was escaping through my nostrils made me wonder about breath control and support. So I asked a few people, and they said no air should pass through my nose during lip rolls..... I was just wondering do you think they are correct?

I ask because I tried a few days of doing lip rolls with a pinched nose, my lip rolls felt a bit more trouble some, like I had too much air trying to escape from my lips. Coincidentally ( maybe not so coincidental) I felt a bit sore after that day of singing, which has never happened in my previous 5 months of vocalizing. So, yeah....any advice is appreciated!

When I do them no air escapes through the nostrils. I raise my soft pallet to close off the nasal port. (I don't to this consciously, it just happens automatically) I can pinch my nose and it is exactly the same.

The main reason for the lip rolls is to slow down and control air flow. If too much air escapes through your nostrils that may accidentally speed up air flow which would be contrary to what the exercise is all about. You should not have to pinch your nose while doing lip rolls.

However, if you are getting sore that is not good. Proceed with caution.

i use the flutter as a guide...it needs to be consistent and free rather than breaking up and tight. also, explore them in full voice and falsetto. you'll find there's a big difference.

apply the air rather than punch the air to get the lips fluttering. it's a great exercise for exploring range.