Falsetto to Whistletone

Rate this topic

Aphet

Hi everyone. I'll try to make this short and to the point, since I tend to be long-winded. EDIT: I am a male, by the way.

Basically, for the longest time I've had this falsetto extension reaching up to about an E6. Very strong, comfortable, (though I wasn't able to make consonants up there.) There was a point when I hadn't used it for a while, as I was in a show and as it was vocally intense I needed to make sure I kept my energy for the right things. I can't seem to produce those pitches anymore. When I try, I go into whistletone. It seems like my discovery of whistletone in the summer prior to that show began the decline of that ability. Not because I do whistletone, or actually try to use it (as it isn't good for the vocal chords from what I understand) but about the time I discovered I -could- do it. I digress, when I try to extend into that falsetto area, it just feels locked away, and I skip up into whistletone or don't make the pitch I was attempting to make, as if my vocal cords want to do something else. Perhaps it is a muscle memory thing, and I assume I am putting too much pressure on my cords, thus causing the whistletone? I am unsure, I just really miss my high falsetto extension, it was a wonderful feeling. I feel like it's still there, and just the other night I accidentally reactivated it, but cannot reproduce it, so I know I still have the capability, I just don't know how.

Suggestions, advice? Thanks in advance,

N-

Who told you that whistletone was not good for the voice?

I mean, I don't have a whistle register but I have never heard before that it was wrong or not good for the voice.

A professor at Interlochen Arts Camp in one of my years attending. :)

A professor at Interlochen Arts Camp in one of my years attending. :)

Interesting.

My first wife went to Interlochen, in her teens (1970's.) However, she was there as a piano student.

So, did this teacher explain why the whistle was bad for the voice?

She did. She explained that the whistletone is placing intense tension on the vocal cords and causing the cords to not vibrate, but instead create a high-pitched whistling. Something about that amount of tension being not good for the cords.

Can you upload a clip so we can hear what you are doing? Whistle is not bad for your voice atleast not moreso than other sounds, however it's something thats very easy to make wrong. Also due to it's undominance in the voice it's very hard to do if you sing powerfull or deep into yourfalsetto. Growl and deathmetal singers however have an easyer time releasing into whistle thanks to their sounds they are using.

So in a sense your teacher is right wait with whistle for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a sample. It's incredibly short and my voice wasn't exactly cooperating, which is why I think I am probably producing the sound incorrectly anyway, but essentially I'm more worried about the missing high falsetto, with which I used to be able to extend to a high E on good days, and easily pop up to a high C whenever...

Attempts to do it now lead to this.

I just really miss it :(

First clip, that really does sound like a whistle. Maybe unusable, for now, but neat, nevertheless. And I certainly cannot do that.

Second clip, I don't know if it's the mic or what, but that did not sound like falsetto. It sounded like ringing head resonance. The kind that makes your eyes vibrate.

First clip, that really does sound like a whistle. Maybe unusable, for now, but neat, nevertheless. And I certainly cannot do that.

Second clip, I don't know if it's the mic or what, but that did not sound like falsetto. It sounded like ringing head resonance. The kind that makes your eyes vibrate.

Yes! That's exactly what it was, but I can no longer seem to produce it adequately and I don't know why. It's like I can feel that I should be able to do it, but something is keeping it locked away, possibly like a ceiling on the roof of my mouth. It's very frustrating, because it was just January or so this year that I could easily pop up to a high C and have it sound decent and very much like a woman.

Yes! That's exactly what it was, but I can no longer seem to produce it adequately and I don't know why. It's like I can feel that I should be able to do it, but something is keeping it locked away, possibly like a ceiling on the roof of my mouth. It's very frustrating, because it was just January or so this year that I could easily pop up to a high C and have it sound decent and very much like a woman.

The high C I know of is C5 (american notation.) Are you meaning that, or C6, an otave above that?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, C6 is my top note in full voice, loud enough to hurt your ears. I don't know that I have gone higher than that, full voice or falsetto. if I remember correctly, I think C6 is also called soprano C. And, again, I may be wrong, but mostly coloraturas reach for that note. Or above.

Anyway, you bumped your own thread. So, how are things going, now?

Ron, can you do a C6 very soft and quiet?

Nick

No, by that point, a la Frisell, there is a necessary volume increase to complete the note. Although I have been practicing lately some high parts soft. But no, then end of my range requires effort.

Does that mean I am imperfect or not finished as a singer? Of course it does. But I am going to go right ahead and sing songs, even if I cannot do a C6 soft and quiet. And maybe, for now, that is the only way I can do that note. And most of the music I like, that part of the range is to be sung loud, as in upper 4th, through the 5th, for sure. So, even if I could do it soft and quiet, I am not sure what I would use that for.

As much as I like some R&B, like "Crazy" by (C-Lo is what he is calling himself now), doesn't mean I am going to sing that song or go to that genre.

I have done a C6 with a soft onset and lean into it.

No, by that point, a la Frisell, there is a necessary volume increase to complete the note. Although I have been practicing lately some high parts soft. But no, then end of my range requires effort.

Does that mean I am imperfect or not finished as a singer? Of course it does. But I am going to go right ahead and sing songs, even if I cannot do a C6 soft and quiet. And maybe, for now, that is the only way I can do that note. And most of the music I like, that part of the range is to be sung loud, as in upper 4th, through the 5th, for sure. So, even if I could do it soft and quiet, I am not sure what I would use that for.

As much as I like some R&B, like "Crazy" by (C-Lo is what he is calling himself now), doesn't mean I am going to sing that song or go to that genre.

I have done a C6 with a soft onset and lean into it.

I was just curious, thanks Ron!

Nick

Growl and deathmetal singers however have an easyer time releasing into whistle thanks to their sounds they are using.

Are you talking about fry? Because with fry screaming I've gotten some mad high sounds but I didn't think they'd classify as whistle since they're so airy.

Before I continue, I'd like to note that what I've learned is (just like most other vocal related stuff) pure done by discovering it and might not be safe at all...though it hasn't hurt me so far, you shouldn't trust me on this maybe, because I'm just a dude who loves to go crazy with his voice. The technique here (or lack thereof) might be questionable.

Anyway....for me whistle register is something I just really discovered while playing with my voice. To me, it's not something I can acces from my highest top note and flip in (or crack in). To me it's different. I discovered it by squeezing soft. I didn't aim for pressure, nor a full sound or anything. Eventually I tried doing more with it (the first time I discovered it, I sounded like an animal, e.g totally unpleasant). I can only do this while inhaling and vocal fry might be related to it (you can probably hear in the first second of the first clip below)

http://picosong.com/qkYP/

Trying to sustain a C6:

http://picosong.com/qkYt/