Lifehouse - You and Me Cover, please give me feedback for last one

• TMV World Legacy Member

Evidently, gnee, he got his feelings hurt. Posted Thursday and no one responded. So, he takes it off, figuring it was so bad that no one would comment.

Just as likely, either it got lost in the recent deluge of other posts or others would not comment because they did not know the original and are incapable of commenting on just the singing if they cannot compare to the original.

Which has never stopped me, of course. I will comment on a song, even if I don't know the original because I am commenting on the performance, here, not whether or not I could accidently mistake this or that cover for the original. But then, again, I am an odd guy.

Don't worry, Rhan, win some, lose some, get used to it, the life of a musician.

This is the first that I saw this thread. Rhan, Fix the link please. :) Would like to hear the song. I have heard your other post I am sure I will enjoy it. :D

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I got your email sir, haha actually after i listen to that cover over and over i guess it sounds kinda bad. Because i use my own voice which is ugly side of my voice( i think its better if i imitate other singer's voice ) haha. Thats why i removed the link from here since nobody post reply to it and its make the confirmation that this cover is bad as i thought :P

*thanks for the encouraging words from ronws and mdew. actually i also posted the cover on my fb, and one of my friends said that my voice sounds weird in that cover. probably because she used to listen to my other cover which i used softer tones and more 'sweet' voice whice i imitate other singer :lol:

I didn't get a chance to hear it. Even if it is bad as you say it is maybe someone can give hints to make it better.

No one can help you improve if we cannot hear the mistakes.

The other songs that I heard you sing were very good.

thanks mdew :) this is the link i really appreciate if you can give me feedback that can help me to improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pcQgzyR9wo

Over all I think it sounded pretty good. First of all the original singer is using some odd vowel shapes and rasp. That in itself gives me problems if I am trying to match his sound.

Your pitch was good all the way through. It sounded as if the tone was going in your nose in the first verse and last. I think that was trying to match his rasp and using a little too much.

I am not a teacher these are just impressions that I get. Others may say something different.

It really did sound pretty good. :)

Now, I remember. I did listen to this before and did not comment. Mainly because you have a through-the-nose nasal sound on this, when you don't have that sound on other covers that you did. And not knowing the original well enough, I don't know if you were trying to copy exactly the original singer and did not want to offend you by telling you to stop that.

I really do like your own voice and think you should re-do this as RHan. But I also wanted to avoid the sarcasm generated when I say that you should sing in your own voice, which is a sin, in some quarters, but not mine. The song was good, your singing was good, I was just not a big fan of the nose singing. Which may be fine for others. That is, it is not a technical point of mine but a style point. In other words, you did good, I am just not a fan of through-the-nose nasal.

thats exactly what my friend said, i sound too much nasal. actually i thought that is my real voice. so now im bit confused which is my real voice. anyway is there any tips or practice to avoid too much nasal sound? is it i have to sing it clear and produce the sound all from my mouth? and btw i also need some guidance on real/natural voice, which most of my friends asked me to find it. Is it my talking voice? if i mix it with headvoice, is it im already singing with not my real voice? im totally lost right now xD

While you are singing...pinch your nose to close the nostrils. If the sound stops you are singing nasal.

N sounds need the sound to come out the nose. Other sounds do not.

I believe it is the rasp that you are using on this song that is causing you to sing nasal.

I am not a teacher. I could be wrong.

thats exactly what my friend said, i sound too much nasal. actually i thought that is my real voice. so now im bit confused which is my real voice. anyway is there any tips or practice to avoid too much nasal sound? is it i have to sing it clear and produce the sound all from my mouth? and btw i also need some guidance on real/natural voice, which most of my friends asked me to find it. Is it my talking voice? if i mix it with headvoice, is it im already singing with not my real voice? im totally lost right now xD

Yes. Let the sound come out of the mouth. However, you will still use nasal resonance, just don't let the sound come out through the nose. The note resonates properly BEHIND the sinus. Mainly by retracting the soft palate, most easily achieve by a slight smile.

That is, we all have some nasalance. It's part of the human sound. Some more than others. But I have heard you on other songs not sound this much through the nose. So, I think you should re-try this song the way that you sang the others, even if it is NOT like the original. Be a daredevil. Join ronws on the highway to Hell. Sing it like Rhan.

i think i've got it, i mean reducing the nasal sound. i've tried it just now at a karaoke session and my friend said i sound more 'powerful' on higher notes. i can feel all the sound projected from my mouth now although im not sure if i mistaken understand what you guys trying to tell me, but i really learn something now. thanks ronws and mdew! :D

*what i do is the smile mouth shape, and then opening more of mouth when hitting high note. before this i tends to limit my mouth opening. is it the right thing?

i think i've got it, i mean reducing the nasal sound. i've tried it just now at a karaoke session and my friend said i sound more 'powerful' on higher notes. i can feel all the sound projected from my mouth now although im not sure if i mistaken understand what you guys trying to tell me, but i really learn something now. thanks ronws and mdew! :D

*what i do is the smile mouth shape, and then opening more of mouth when hitting high note. before this i tends to limit my mouth opening. is it the right thing?

Exactly. To quote the precepts of Estill and few other methods, alignment makes a big difference. The singing voice is an instrument, not unlike a flute or oboe.

A properly resonated note uses the sinus cavity, mostly behind the soft palate, though there may be other parts and Dr. Fillebrown pointed out the importance of the maxiallary sinus (often felt between the eyes, initially.)

But the sound itself should come out of the mouth. Like a flute. The resonance is happening but the port of exit is forward.

And it's something that, once you experience it, you never forget. The rest of your work will be in NOT losing that feeling.

Thanks ronws, i really like the new 'feeling' now. I will post another cover soon to check if i already properly sing without that nasal sound. But im really quite sure that i get the right thing now, for 3 years i've been learning to sing nobody ever told me about this nasal sound. Thanks a lot ronws and mdew! :D

Thanks ronws, i really like the new 'feeling' now. I will post another cover soon to check if i already properly sing without that nasal sound. But im really quite sure that i get the right thing now, for 3 years i've been learning to sing nobody ever told me about this nasal sound. Thanks a lot ronws and mdew! :D

Noblesse Oblige, mon Ami. I like to help when I can, in my own amateurish way.

Edited to fix my own mispelling in french.

• 2 weeks later...

im back, and just did another cover for this song again just to check with you guys either im still with the nasal sound or corrected it. please give me feedback on this especially ronws and mdew. i will take any harsh words if it means that i can improve and improve again :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AodvFA3ZClo

Your tone does seem more clear. Don't worry too much on the nasal sound. Any one thing that you concentrate on can cause problems in other areas.