Help with high notes?

Rate this topic

It just clicked to me right now reading a few posts on this thread about the mouth position that pretty almost every top vocal coach/method today is recommending that...keeping the mouth position the same through the vowel modifications...KTVA, CVT, TVS, Kevin Richards, I'm sure the list goes on...

It's rare to see so many different approaches agree on the same thing, and I think it's important to take BIG note of when they do because it presents an opportunity for the student to take advantage of that information and confidently commit to that common principle during their practice.

I personally have discovered I have a bad habit of changing my mouth position on the ascending bridge when I'm trying to darken the vowel up top. Whenever I do a descending bridge with vowel mods or and ascending bridge without vowel mods, both of those tend to be smoother and more consistent, but they also both tend to feature a fairly static mouth position throughout. So that made it apparent to me that part of the problem with darkening on the way up was doing so by changing the mouth position too much instead of shaping the throat.

It's good to practice in front of a mirror to watch out for things like that. :)

How do you guys sing into a pillow? I've tried that on a couple of occasions, it dampens but then I cannot hear my voice properly, start pushing more than necessary and end up with my neck tensing like crazy. I read somewhere that Bruce Dickinson used to practise with his head in a cardbox...that would be pretty funny

How do you guys sing into a pillow? I've tried that on a couple of occasions, it dampens but then I cannot hear my voice properly, start pushing more than necessary and end up with my neck tensing like crazy. I read somewhere that Bruce Dickinson used to practise with his head in a cardbox...that would be pretty funny

No, not really. However, in warm-up before the show, per his own words, he wanders around back stage, humming and grinning maniacally, which gets him all kinds of weird looks from others.

Don't push more than necessary lol ! You just have to be careful that you don't feel strained etc. you can still listen and feel even through the pillow