Interstate Love Song - STP

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello everyone!

It's been I while I haven't posted anything, so I wanted to post this cover I recorded recently..

I'm really open to any kind of critique or comment , I feel it still lacks precision in many parts, and my pronunciation is far from perfect :)

Hey man! From what I can hear, you've got the right tone and feel for the song. At times it seemed your vibrato set your voice a little unsteady pitch-wise but that can be easily fixed with a little practice.

Actually, this sounded fairly spot on. And I get to say that because I have actually read the memoirs of Scott Weiland. He even thinks in poetic terms and syntax. Anyway, based on what I read of how he feels, you captured the intent of this song, that he meant for it to portray. Whether you sound exactly like him, or not, and you do sound kind of close to him, doesn't matter. Your pitch was good and the feel of the song was in there.

You may do badly on the next song, but I think you did good on this one.

Wabba_treads, thank you very much, I feel I still have some problems controlling the vibrato, and the voice in some points is "trembling" and pitchy, I agree!

Ronws, thank you very much! I also read the memoirs of Scott Weiland, and this song's meaning is so much intense. I try not to mimic some other singer, because I'm really trying to focus on my own voice and try to emotionally express as much as I can what I "read between the lines" :) besides technique, this is my main "struggle"

Ronws, thank you very much! I also read the memoirs of Scott Weiland, and this song's meaning is so much intense. I try not to mimic some other singer, because I'm really trying to focus on my own voice and try to emotionally express as much as I can what I "read between the lines" :) besides technique, this is my main "struggle"

Exactly. That is how I approach singing. For example, I do a lot of Led Zep covers, even though I don't sound like Robert Plant, don't try to, don't care if I accidently sound like him. What I do is aim to sing with the same emotional intention and jazzy feel that he had.

How does that affect my use of "technique"? To see that I have pitch accuracy and relevant power where I think it needs it in the song. That is, none of my technique is aimed at sounding like a carbon copy of RP. It is aimed at making the voice of Ron from Texas (that's me) sound emotive in the song. To have sound believable and appropos to myself, and to others.

Another song, where I do not sound like the original singer. "Highway to Hell." But I have the feeling of the song.

Others' mileage may vary.

Great song and cover of it. I think your voice is very good, especially for that type of song. As for a critique I'm not a pro or anything, but I'll tell you what I hear that I think you could easily improve. First, I think you're over-pronouncing the words. Maybe losen up a bit and let the words roll out just as you would in a casual conversation. For an example, when you pronounce "waiting", you emphisize the "ing" at the end and proceed it with a heavy "T", so it sounds like 'wai-TING". Try to make it sound like "way-den". The other thing is that it's a long song and you sounded a bit flat towards the end, kinda like you were tired.

I hope you accept these critiques in the spirit in which they were intended. You did a great job on that song, far better than I could have. With a couple of tweaks you'll own it!

Bernie I listened carefully to the song and I realize these things you said! I totally agree and I thank you for advicing me this. My mothertounge is not english, therefore I tend to pronunciate in an unnatural way... I'll try to work on that!

I think I got "tired" vocally at the end of the song.. I always record the songs from the beginning to the end, because I think the feel is delivered in the whole take, if it's right.. it's also a good point to improve my "stamina"! :) while when practising I try to repeate single phrases to improve the technique.

However good points, I'll work on that!

Don't worry, dbass. I was born in America, English is my native language, and I still have to work on my articulation. For example, go back a month or so ago and read the thread for my cover of "Everybody Talks" by the Neon Trees.