Any Tips for a casual singer?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey, I just found this site. Im not a big time vocalist or anything but I do enjoy grabbing my guitar and playing for friends from time to time. I feel my biggest issue is breathing mostly because of my size. I usually can tell in my videos where im off but its always nice to have more opinions to help improve. I usually don't get videos perfect because I get bored and just don't feel like recording for the 40th time so I guess one thing would be patience. Anyways any tips would be helpful thanks.

Sounds pretty good. The grit sounds pretty good but also practice singing without that grit.

The clean sound will help you hear when sing off key. Not that I noticed anything wrong with your pitch.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thanks.. The grit is more natural to me when I sing its not something I add it just happens when I go into a certain range. I need to find a local coach that would prolly help me a lot with vocal control. I might have had a bit of dmg to the vocal chords while I was at Ft. Benning in Infantry school doing chant and cadences. Thanks

Size has nothing to do with. Let the belly relax to inhale. Control the exhale.

But you sounded good here and should continue with that. The songwriting is going to be more important to you. And to listeners.

You've got a bit of Tim McGraw sound in your voice. So, just let that be.

I am going to send you an email with a link to explain about controlling the exhale.

Thanks.. The grit is more natural to me when I sing its not something I add it just happens when I go into a certain range. I need to find a local coach that would prolly help me a lot with vocal control. I might have had a bit of dmg to the vocal chords while I was at Ft. Benning in Infantry school doing chant and cadences. Thanks

I like the grit. It is a typical southern country grit. I have been trying forever to get that.

The chanting and cadences probably helped you to get that.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Yeah, I know some military marching cadence from being around such things and most of them, I cannot repeat here. I would over-work the automatic filter.

But I can always start one. One of my favorites actually came from "Heartbreak Ridge."

"I've got a pocket full of money and a car full of gas ..."

And then it degenerates from there.

One from the Navy,

'My shoes are shined. My pants are tight ... My (deleted) are swinging from left to right, sound off ..."

Then, there's a list of stuff that starts with :

"I don't know but I've been told ..."

In fact, Robert Plant used one in a song.

"I don't know but I've been told. A big-legged woman ain't got no soul..." - from "Black Dog."

Very good sir! It's nice to see another big man singing :). My only real complaint is the constant wobbling of the camera. Please invest in a decent tripod if you're going to continue to produce videos ;). You were a little flat right there at the end but I think being able to control your breathing will help with that. As another big man I can tell you it's easy to run out of air if I don't keep my stomach (diaphragm) tight while exhaling. Learning when to breath in and taking a quick deep breath helps me too. I'm no pro or coach or anything, this is just what I've figured out for myself. Hopefully it can help you too.

Also, I must say that I am always impressed when someone can sing as well as you do AND play the guitar at the same time. Kudos to you sir!

It depends on how we define big. I am 6' 6" and about 220 to 225 lbs, right now. My pants fight to stay up. But, at one point, several years ago, I weight about 254 lbs. Probably the lowest I have weighed at this height is 215.

Then, again, like I have said, girth is no impediment to singing. Easy intake and controlled exhale, that is singing. Regardless of waist size. Most times, I think, people with some girth sing easier because they are NOT trying to hold the gut in. Vanity is one of the seven sins.

:lol:

True, I have my own vanity. I hope to be a presentable corpse. ("My, and look at all the lovely flowers!")

"I'm on the highway to Hell..."

• 1 month later...

I really like your sound.

And it looks like you're reading the lyrics off camera, so I think it's reasonable to expect an awesome performance if you were singing a song you confidently knew inside out.