Looking on a tip on good vocal coach in/near San Francisco

Rate this topic

Mithali

Hi all,

I would like to learn how to sing well. I've tried several vocal couches from where I am from and so far I didn't even learn how to well support my breath - apart from other things like keeping my throat muscles relaxed, finding pocket etc. One of the vocal coaches even believed my vocal chords must be damaged but doctor said they are perfectly ok. To sum it up it seems like I am unable to learn to sing. I will be moving to San Francisco soon so I figured I might give it one more shot and try and find someone who would be able to teach me over there.

This is an example of what I am talking about when I say I cannot figure out how to sing properly, its mix of three songs:

In the first one I try to control my vocal the most and struggle to keep some kind of breath support and relaxed neck - which results in sounding lifeless, slow and listening to it now a bit of key, the second one I let go a bit of the struggle for the support but keep it relaxed which results in small breaks and me not being able to choose when it should sound loud or quiet and overall having very little control but sounding more natural, the last one is my old way of singing which is the easiest for me to control but limiting in range as I strain my neck muscles.

If you knew about someone good near SF who is really able to explain things, and fix bad habits let me please know...

Thanks,

M.

Thanks Gilad. Paso Robles is pretty far for regular in person lessons - I will actually be staying in San Francisco. Its unfortunate because otherwise I would give it try - I looked him up and what he talks about is exactly what I think I have problem with.

After listening to your clips i must say, drop that image of relaxation... You dont need relaxation you need more energy! MUch more energy, more effort everything. Your singing in a very unsupported "choirgirl" voice wich sure gives alot of range but the quality and improvement in vocals will be lacking.

It sounds like your afraid of your voice, and your afraid to make sound and be heard.

I would like to learn how to sing well. I've tried several vocal couches from where I am from and so far I didn't even learn how to well support my breath - apart from other things like keeping my throat muscles relaxed, finding pocket etc. One of the vocal coaches even believed my vocal chords must be damaged but doctor said they are perfectly ok. To sum it up it seems like I am unable to learn to sing. I will be moving to San Francisco soon so I figured I might give it one more shot and try and find someone who would be able to teach me over there.

Thats absurd, you can learn. If you cant get it together with Daniel, look for some classical teacher, best if a soprano, see if the person agrees on working towards your repertoire and also make sure that she can execute in a way that you would like for yourself.

In the event personal lessons are out of question, Daniel attends via skype too. And so do other teachers like the owner of this site.

^Read and follow every single word that Felipe says. It's not just the "get a coach" thing.

Several vocal coaches and you haven't learned anything?

There's no magic pill, no magic coach. You have to work at some things. Even if you get with Daniel Formica, the present champion of "just do it," he is going to give you some exercises and ideas. And here's the hard part. You actually have to try them, even for a little while. Singing is not an app you can download to your android. No, wait, it is. 4 Pillars has a mobile app. But still, even with the mobile app, you still have implement whatever exercises.

I could be wrong but this sounds like the "perfect storm," as I like to call it. Several coaches, several styles, still no results. Regardless of whatever suggestions, still nothing. Like any number, whole integer or not, divided by zero. The unsolvable result. In mathematics, the actual answer for anything divided by zero is "does not exist."

So, find a teacher, even someone in local opera or theater who will teach and many of them will for pennies on the dollar. And then, the hard part, listen to them and practice what they provide.

And now, to amend my previous post or eradicate it all together, I am confused. After listening to the link you posted, including other songs, including a really neat cover of "Wild Horses," what do you mean that you have a problem with breath support?

Are you just looking for applause? Come in and say, "Oh, I just stink as a singer no matter what I do" and expect raving applause and a validation that you are a good singer? I just don't get the false humility thing.

I must be in a tough love mood today.

Stand up, present yourself, and say, this is what I do. Then, instead of asking others to make you into something you are not, for you will not achieve performing success impressing other singers, go out there and sell your stuff to the public. That's the real test.

Ronnie James Dio, with over 40 years as a professional singer, never once entered a "talent show." Never once posted in a singer's forum or group. He went out there and sang in front of people. Good nights, not-so-good nights. Just keep singing.

So, considering that you had the right sound for the style that you are singing, kind of a torch song and jazzy combo of adult contemporary, what is it that you think you lack?

Again, maybe you are just looking for applause. So, go out there to the public and get applause that earns you money.

You sound fine and I don't understand what your problem is.

ron (on a tough love kick) ws

Thanks for the tough love :)

I am not looking for applause here - I would post the Wild Horses if I was hoping for positive feedback but instead I posted something that I think showcases my weaknesses. And regarding Wild Horses - its not like I can sing it like that anytime, it took me a lot of takes to get that one :)

I had band for several years and used to compose songs but I was never able to sing them in the way I wanted them to sound which I found frustrating. And it wasn't about me wanting to sound like heavy metal singer or like Celine Dion but about gaps in technique that caused my voice to break, be weak etc. I love singing, I sing every day (to myself now days) and I know that there is still very much that I want-need to learn.

So I simply hoped that I could get some tips on vocal couches in SF area since I know how hard it was for me to find someone in Prague who would be using technique I am interested in (mix instead of pulling up) and was good in passing the knowledge on students. I dont believe that just doing over and over exercises is good unless you know you are doing them correctly and its priceless to have someone who can explain to you what are you doing wrong and how to tell if you do it right.

Maybe I should give those skype lessons a shot - it used to seem to me unbelievable that lesson over skype could be real good - due to technical issues - but seems like a lot of people here consider it great and it works just fine.

One of topic question - since english is my second language - how bad is my accent for native speakers when singing?

I couldn't really hear a heavy accent. Just remember, americans are lazy in speach, if you are wanting to sound american when you sing.

Anyway, so I understand better now that it took you some work to record this. Welcome to the club.

So, are you relocating to San Francisco or just visiting there? And yes, look up Daniel Formica, he is kind of in the southern California area, though he tours up and down with the West Coast with his band.