Learning staccato

Rate this topic

Melanie

I am a new student of singing. For me the most challenging exercise is staccato. My instructor emphasizes the importance of the voice resonating high in the face, like above the teeth, preferably toward the forehead. I find that I can do staccato when my voice is placed lower than he suggests.; then I can feel the bounce in the diaphram, but if I try staccato with my voice placed high, I have difficulty. Is there something more I should know?

I am a new student of singing. For me the most challenging exercise is staccato. My instructor emphasizes the importance of the voice resonating high in the face, like above the teeth, preferably toward the forehead. I find that I can do staccato when my voice is placed lower than he suggests.; then I can feel the bounce in the diaphram, but if I try staccato with my voice placed high, I have difficulty. Is there something more I should know?

Melanie: Step back a bit, and work on resonant, well-placed onsets .... slowly, separated by short breaths. When you can do 4 or 5 in a row well, then increase the tempo a bit, and repeat.

I hope this is helpful.

melanie, to add to steven'e great advice....if i can suggest what helped me...perhaps it might help you.

sing staccato "ah" (this one as in "sat") in a scale. open the mouth high and focus on a sense that you will just tap the folds fairly easy with the bright "ah"...feel like you are tapping the folds with this bright, slighty bratty sounding "ah."

another good one is "ee" like a monkey might sound, drop the "h."

don't close on the "ee" or spread it..keep it open.

Thanks for that extra piece of advice!

Another thing I've noticed is that's is much easier for me to do staccato with short, shallow breaths. If I take a deep breath and try to do staccato it's very difficult!!

yes, what you might be doing with is the deep breath is tanking up too much for the exercise, which causes you to glottal attack on the folds instead of just tap, tap taping them....

it's not a nice singing sound exercise..lol!!!