I wanna sing but I've some Pitch problems. LISTEN AND CRITIC MY SINGIN

Rate this topic

Albertone

Hi to everyone =) Im new here and I'm proud to have found this forum.

I'm an italian bass player, I'm 19 and I'm studying double bass in conservatory since 2011.

since a year ago I sung just for fun with my friends but all my attempts gone very bad so I started to avoid singing in public( shame on me everytime a Took a mic in my hands) but I really love sing! and I always do it (in every wrong way is possible). a Month ago I joined a band which in its repetoire there are a lot of songs with choir parts and backing vocals so I MUST sing if I want play with them. For me it's not so hard to do harmonized choir( usually a I can sing a 5th above the lead singer or a 3rd) but it's a memory tool because I remember the sensations that I want to imprint to the piece and I do it, but I never study to do this kind of stuff.

BUT!!!!

I have at least two problems:

1 even if I can sing intervalls, I'm never properly in tune( as you will listen in the file in the link below)

2 I'm very worried because I'm doing progress with my ear training( I can recognize each note of a 4 note chord, intervals and I can recognize C D A and G by ear just by humming them. or just with aural recall if i'm not too busy with my mind.

here is the file that I recorded

http://snd.sc/1hF67zG

A sense of intervals is something I learned to call relative pitch, pitch relative to other pitches. And in your scales, there are times where you are on pitch and then the next half-step throws you off. When you play the double-bass, you are constantly adjusting by means of moving to a different string, even if in the same relative area of the fret board (I play guitar, so I kind of get the picture of what you do with a standing bass, or even bass guitar.)

If you let your voice do the same thing, you will "adjust" easier to go up in the scale. Also, you don't have much low end. I think the last usable note I could hear was a weak A2 or G2.

Your falsetto tone, while allowing you to get some higher notes, is not all that usable as a sound. So, remember what Graham Hewitt said some 30 or so years ago. "If you can sing it soft, you can sing it loud." It's a matter of resonance, just as creating a sound from your bass is a matter of resonance.

Also, what is making you flip into falsetto is you are not controlling the exhale of the air. So, the vocal folds give way and then you back way off the air, too much.

I would think, with the music culture that you have, there would be someone around, like a theater major or someone in local theater or chamber music that you could hear you in person and give you some basics.

Also, singing is not an "App." So, if you had to record stellar vocals tomorrow, it ain't happenin'. Mainly because you have not learned the coordination to sing like you learned the coordination to play double bass. You have a nice sound to your voice, just need to learn some finesse, I think.

ok thank you very much =)

but in truth I don't know people that are available to help me with my singing skills.

So I have to do all by myself.

What kind of excercises should I do to improve my intonation?

reguarding the falsetto. What does it means that I back way off the air? :/

I switch to falsetto because if I try to hit that F# or higher in full voice I feel strain in my neck. Am I doing it right or should I od in the other way?

I switch to falsetto because if I try to hit that F# or higher in full voice I feel strain in my neck. Am I doing it right or should I od in the other way?

You are straining because the larynx is rising because you are trying to make a high note, which is really a small note, with the same big instrument as where you "speak" your lowest note. A high note is a small note, so let the production of the actual note be small, and let resonance amplify it, like a violin. A violin is using smaller string, smaller vibrating mass, and resonating in a the smaller space of a violin. That same string would sound like nothing in a double bass, or even a viola, for example. Same with your voice.

Nick is right. Geoff Tate made a career out of six lessons with David Kyle.

Anne Wilson made a career out of breath management instruction from her choir teacher in high school, Alan Lund, the only vocal instructor she mention in her memoirs with her sister, Nancy.

Point being, instruction at some point will help.

Otherwise, read around the forum about not allowing the larynx to rise too high.