just incredible - lou gramm acapella!

Rate this topic

VideoHere

I was wondering when you would get around to liking and appreciating Lou Gramm. Took you long enough.

However, it is not true a capella. If you listen with the volume up loud, as I did, you can hear the backing track, mostly muted but still present. As well, of course, as the echo on this track, evidently a printed effect that cannot be de-constructed. And I wonder, who ever did this de-construction, did they use an original phonograph or a digitally re-mastered cd? Most likely the latter. And re-mastered cd's are autotuned.

But i still like this song and the passion in Lou's voice.

Who cares man geez!!! It's an acapella just enjoy it, it doesn't need to be picked apart!

I get it, you don't like me, right now. But a de-constructed track is not the same as true a capella. And I am not dissing Lou's singing. Far from it. I just don't view this as a true a capella performance. And when Lou sang this track, he had the backing track in his cans.

Unless I am mistaken and the album was recorded with Lou singing without any reference track. I could be wrong and have been wrong, many times before. I know you think I hurt your feelings, Phil, in another thread. Sorry that it bled into this one, Bob.

Yeah his voice is excellent. Cool to hear just him. Those vocal performances are really pretty fantastic. They didn't have pitch correction back then so they relied on the singers' skill in the studio.

I don't think it was deconstructed at all. I think this may be the vocal stem sent to the mastering house. Similar to the Bon Jovi stems and Queen stems we've heard. You can hear the backing tracks which is probably a little crosstalk between tracks with the analogue gear they were using.

The vocal recordings they made back then are quite spectacular. Perfect compression, perfect reverb, perfecting mix. They used all the expensive analogue gear that is now emulated in software plug-ins with varying success. The quality of the delays weren't very good but it didn't matter in the overall mix. The delays are timed and mixed perfectly.

huh? *I* think that??? Dude you just make stuff up in your head and run with it as fact. I'm not mad at all buddy, just baffled LMAO

as for acapella, I guess you were hoping for him to be singing without any accompaniment, but unfortuantely that sorta stuff generally doesn't exist for most established artists. generally if you type in acapella for your favourite recording artist it's usually the lead vox isolated from the backing track. still great to hear though because you can really learn their tricks and traits.

I am not the one that titled this thread "a capella."

Or do I misunderstand the meaning of a capella? I have been wrong before and could be wrong, even now.

I have no reputation to protect.

Here's Lou singing the National Anthem (US) without musical accompaniment or backing track. This is what I understood to be "a capella". But I am not a singing expert.

And yes, truly an awesome voice, whether "a capella" as I understand it, or ripped from a re-mastered track.

And for those who have not tried it, the US National Anthem is one of the most demanding songs to sing. Such a large range, usually sung a capella, as expected, at sporting events, which are less than ideal acoustic environments. From memory. And this is a more recent performance, way after the stroke he suffered. Dude still got the stuff.

Lou does not "attempt" a song. He brings his "A" game, every time, whatever that A game is.

And yes, he is worthy of admiration for his abiltity, talent, and dedication to his craft.

okay, maybe i should have called it lou gramm singing without any instruments playing very loud at all...lol!!!

gees, the point is you get to hear so much of what he put into that song. if you listen critically it's so clear how much he held back his air in this song at times. how much vowel shaping he used..his tonal consistency and the control he has over his intensity impressed the hell out of me.

here's another:

at 3:45 we hear that awesome "infamous" high "oo" on b natural which always impressed me, but listen "critically" and he was not perfection on some spots in this recording and that's a good thing to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqG6lD910ko

A tone to die for! Thanks Bob!

I think many people can sing like him on the low notes but when he goes to the passagio and higher, most would fail.

Question:

If I'm singing with this type of sound (soulful and raspy), what should I be thinking about, technique wise, if my melody travels upward through the passagio? Any tips? Daniel?

Bob - thanks for putting up the Steve Walsh example. He doesn't have the technique of Lou, but I love his tone, and his style. Especially as he get's up above G4. He's got this extra "metallic" tone. (don't know how he does that "oo"!) He isn't afraid to "go for it" and use Overdrive up to C5 which is super bright and ballsy. It's a double edge sword for him though, as this can get fatiguing... and singing like that night after night can take its toll. I've seen him in poor voice and in great voice..although he never "ruined" his voice. He is always able to get it together when it counts like on the 30 year re-union BluRay.

A tone to die for! Thanks Bob!

I think many people can sing like him on the low notes but when he goes to the passagio and higher, most would fail.

Question:

If I'm singing with this type of sound (soulful and raspy), what should I be thinking about, technique wise, if my melody travels upward through the passagio? Any tips? Daniel?

jonpall: i hope this helps. when i sing urgent (and it sounds better on me a half step down) i feel like my diaphragm is on a roller coaster...the whole song is just one long compress and release compress and release..if you don't release you lock up and tighten as sure a god made apples. some of the song you use your hooty voice and other parts you belt with a held back control to it. the song is a workout.

there's such a need to control the air.....what i had to learn is the intensity and punch comes from the control.

i did this small section a couple of years ago.. .you might have heard it already.

https://app.box.com/shared/p4lg44us6f

• 3 months later...

lol ron's got everyone scared of calling the vids acapella hahaha love you ron

I love me, too. For a while, I thought I was the only one. :D

People like to call these sound files that are essentially de-constructed from a final and mastered mix as a capella, which I would have thought was funny because it would only be vocal only track if you actually had the master tapes in the case of many of these older songs and faded down every thing but the vocal track. When I watch documentaries of bands and how they got this or that recording done, it is in the studio with either the producer or one of the band mates who knows how to run the board and they are using the source tapes and isolating down to just one track. For example, just Freddie Mercury's voice. Or Brian Mays' guitar fills. Or Roger Taylor's "boom - tap, tsss."

I understand the value here is to isolate just the voice, as much as possible. And not having access to the source tapes, this is the best we can get.