Vocal rest

Rate this topic

derekreno

Anybody ever go awhile without singing or practicing? I ask because due to 3 sinus infections in the last month and a half (damn the wife from making me move away from the desert), plus some other things that have come up, I haven't really sang or practiced, except maybe singining along in the car, for about a month.

Anyways, I was goofing around tonight with some cover tunes, and stuff that's normally hard was easier. Like hanging on to a nice chesty high B. Plus I've got this tone, prob do to the fact I still have a touch of the sinus infection. It sounds cool, lol....almost joe cocker esque....it'll prob go away though.

So this got me to thinking, the voice works the same way as the body? Like you go at it hard in the gym, take a couple weeks off, come back and you can lift more weight? Sorry for the long winded post...sudafed makes me chatty :D

I am not a singing expert. But I used to lift weights a lot. And a lot of other physical things. To where even if you took some time off, you didn't lose everything.

I even have a blog about the "training effect." Since singing has been compared so often to athletics and you are, in fact, using some muscle and coordination, just as you might to lift a shot of Jaegermeister, it is totally possible to have trained to a level of conditioning and coordination that is still there, even after a break.

The three most important things to a singer:

Rest, hydration, and do what it is your voice can do, don't do what it will not do.

So I guess the break did me good. I was goin at it pretty hard before I stopped, not training as much, but doing a lot of physically demanding tunes. There was a time when my old band was doing 2-3 nights a week, 4 sets a night...so I never got any rest. Haha