TMV Lou Gramm Section

Rate this topic

VideoHere

most covers of that song by bands are mostly women. very rarely do you hear a guy singing that song well in that key without a struggle.

even guys voices that are naturally high......they can't get the thicker sound lou got on that song. they can sit up high but don't bring in any depth.

listen to this depth, this intense hoot he gets.

that word "mind" is taken in steps...

I think that pitch recognition is partly psychological. Pitch is something we ultimately interpret, and it has a subjective component.

What we call pitch perfect is just one of potentially many standards to which we have become accustomed. It can still sound flat to someone else.

I tend to think of it in a colors way. You can keep adding green to blue and the color still be considered blue past a certain point. I think some people see too much green sooner than others.

We could easily solve this debate if someone ran some kind of spectro-analyzer through the studio and live ersions and compared. I have no idea how to do this, but someone else could.

yes, i'd like to hear it too. i must have watched every single yt vid on him....lol!!!!

when you sing with a slightly darker sound, (which he did at times) there's always the risk of sounding a little flat.

No Bob, sorry but you sound flat when you are flat. Usually what happens is scooping. And scooping is not only flat but almost an octave bellow the attack note...

no, felipe, i know what scooping is.....maybe i need to explain better.

this was told to me by ken tamplin......when the voice has less chiaro (more skewed towards darker tone) there is more of a tendency to be perceived of as a little flatter. rather than a tone that's skewed more towards the brighter side.

maybe this is not true?

Flat is flat.. That wasn't a good way to explain it to you. And what does that hot spanish chick Chiaro have to do with it Coochie coochie( bob will get this you younger people won't )

I had the pleasure (?) of seeing her on the Surreal Life.

Was surprised to find out she's a masterful guitar player.

this was told to me by ken tamplin......when the voice has less chiaro (more skewed towards darker tone) there is more of a tendency to be perceived of as a little flatter. rather than a tone that's skewed more towards the brighter side.

maybe this is not true?

I believe what Ken usually says is that you need to be careful how you negotiate going from a covered-darker sound to a maskier-brighter sound within the same piece or even the same phrase. The more covered sound could be perceived as flat or under pitch when compared to brighter tone which could sound on top of the pitch, eventually causing the singer to sound off pitch altogether even if he really isn't. It's a matter of perception.

I can surmise that Lou had some rough nights here and there, though I do not hear any pitchiness in the clips presented, so far.

He still rocks hard, good nights and not so good nights. And I would rather hear him on a rough night than many others.

Here's the funny part of this thread. Makes me want to open a bag of pretzels and pop a beer. To sit back and watch these vain-glorious attempts to knock Lou off his perch. No one will ever be able to convince Bob that Lou is less than awesome. Cause even on his roughest night, Lou is still better than a lot of singers, regardless of their training or their view of their own expertise.

Makes me want to start a thread just so I can talk about how I never cared all that much for Michael Jackson's voice. Don't give a rat's posterior about Bruno Mars. And whoever's other holy cows are in here. But that would probably draw more blood. Remember how ya'll reacted when someone else was less than totally enamored of Steve Perry's voice?

I should probably shut up now.

Except to say that Lou Gramm rocks and Bob has some class for admiring his singing.

thanks my brother.....if i get to sit down with him next week, i'm gonna get to the bottom of all this....lol!!!!!

i still can't figure out how the hell he did this intense singing for all those years and right up till his tumor took him out he was still rockin' his ass off.

thanks my brother.....if i get to sit down with him next week, i'm gonna get to the bottom of all this....lol!!!!!

i still can't figure out how the hell he did this intense singing for all those years and right up till his tumor took him out he was still rockin' his ass off.

Because whatever technique you can learn is to allow you to sing from the heart.

Wanted to add, I really liked the Gretchen Wilson cover of "Hot-blooded." Her first big hit song was "Redneck Woman." And she did a Crossroads episode with Heart.

She is considered one of the modern "Outlaws" along with Big & Rich and a few others. People in the genre of country music who do not follow the status quo but make their own path as they go along.

Rock and country, a beautiful (in more ways than one) synergy of story-telling and intensity. Kind of like what Lou does.

Hmmmm ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_uLpctn0Y

Good example of the "oo" vowel.

it's about time you showed up grammcummingsfan...lol!!!

you see, if you listen really carefully you hear shades of "oo" and "uh" in a lot of lou's singing.

i feel he narrows very similar to how opera guys do.......the pharynx and head cavities just light up.

he manages and directs a tall, narrow sound beam and hits that hooty pocket dead on.

i think it's important to be able to discern when a singer is just shading with a vowel (throat shape) as opposed to just singing a required vowel needed for a lyric word.

this video has to listened to...it's full of tonal richness and well placed vowels and vowel shades all thoughout the song

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...