TMV Lou Gramm Section

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Well folks, this Saturday I'm headed to Rochester NY to attend the official Lou gramm Fanfest.

Here's the ad, in case you wanted to go too.  This time I'm going to write down my questions and if I am lucky enough to get the chance, I'm going to come home with some serious insight.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-lou-gramm-fan-fest-tickets-11433659383

That is so cool, Bob. I am also a fan of Lou and Foreigner. So, say hi for me, if you get the chance. The Foreigner greatest hits on 3 CDs stays in my car.

And my favorite is still "Dirty White Boy."

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a video I came across that if you watch it carefully you can see Lou's vocal techniques, notice I said techniques (plural) ..Boy, this performance is short (just highlights from their hits) but awesome. I was particularly impressed the way he handles that "yeah waiting" part in "Waiting" at 5:10. Such tone coming from this man.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lou Gramm singing/interview video from an old E acoustic performance.  Interesting to watch what he does with his embouchure. 

Tbh i do that exactly what he does..closes and widenes when going higher...and i think thats bad...i think that is one reason why my phonation isnt stable up higher

You have to experiment and work out what works for you E.  There are no tried and true rules.  Everyone is different anatomically. I've seen Lou go into configurations that don't work for me either.

Dan, I thought so too....It's more than just the mouth.  

Embouchure - The position and use of the lips, tongue, and teeth in playing a wind instrument

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I, for one,  loved his Farm Aid performance of I Want to Know What Love Is.  It was pure passion, honesty and raw pain.  This was a period in his life when he was at his spiritual bottom, abusing drugs and alcohol and sick of the party scene he had become addicted to.  If you listen to his renditions of this song 6 years later, after his spiritual rebirth and getting clean and sober, he sings like a man who knows what love is.  The Farm Aid performance is the most heart wrenching of a man searching for answers.

• 3 months later...
On 2/6/2016 at 11:46 AM, Rosa said:

We could have more threads in the style of this one, with some other singer. Is there already one for Frank Sinatra? :D

That's a neat idea but I don't know if it would gain traction. You may not know this but Bob (Videohere) is a dedicated fan of Lou Gramm and wanted a thread just about him, which is cool. But no one else has needed to have a thread about favorite singers. That is not good or bad, just a thing.

For example, my favorite singer is Robert Plant. But I have not needed a Plant thread. And me not needing such a thread is neither a slight against Bob or anyone else with a favorite singer. Just something unique to our space, here. In your threads about male singers,  I don't recall that you had a favorite male singer, though I may have missed that, if you did mention it.

I've never been a Superfan of anybody. A fan of many, but don't know anything of their lives or things like that. I still have to add some to my list! :D:) But some of my favorite are already there. 

I noticed VideoHere is a fan of Lou Gramm. And the thread is cute; I can see why VideoHere is a fan of him. :)