First Recording- Led Zeppelin: Whole Lotta Love

• TMV World Legacy Member

Well hello out there, first time posting here....

So the most experience I currently have singing, out side of the shower and car, is karaoke nites at a few bars. I have been playing instruments for about 12-13 years so music is nothing new, just looking to improve vocally.... For the record, I'm a full on rocker; class rock is my specialty.

This recording I was already a bit deep in the bottle, sort of speak, and the place was also smokey as hell so I know right off the bat its not perfect. Also I changed my ipods position, which I was recording with, after the 2nd verse, so there is a bit of an odd noise...

I hope to also post some "The Darkness" and "Aerosmith" songs in the future with better recording...

So What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/ironzepplin/wholelottasomething

Keep Calm, ROCK ON, and GUNS UP!

I am king of the "good job." And I cannot give it here. And it has nothing to do with me being the resident Led Zep freak. You might say I am a fan of Led Zep music. (I know other regulars are asking, sarcastically, "Really?" You have to understand, in my list of covers, at least half are Led Zep songs, with more planned to do, either with a karaoke or me and my cheap acoustic guitar.)

You have the right feel. The tone of your voice, while nothing close to Robert Plant, is really kind of neat and unique, like that of Bon Scott. What you did not have was pitch accuracy. And I am certainly willing to attribute that to your own admission of being a bit inebriated. As we say around where I live, "3 sheets to the wind." "Loop-legged." "Tipsy." "Toasted." You have the range, mostly, though you were sort of an octave below the highest note, probably because you were tired. Too much alcohol takes the wind out of your sails, smoky bar, or not. Trust me, I know. For me, there is a difference in how I sound on nothing but Diet Coke and after 4 scotches, neat. And all points in between.

However, considering the timbre of your voice, I would like to hear you do "Highway to Hell." Anyway, I am looking forward to covers by the other bands you have mentioned. I have covered two songs by The Darkness and look forward to others doing those. In fact, I am one of two people who have posted a Darkness cover and the only one to post two covers from that band. It was a lot of fun, as I am sure you will have.

I think you have a strong voice that was hampered by your intake of intoxicants. You hit some good notes, here and there. I bet, slightly less inebriated, you can nail some stuff dead on.

And I am not busting your chops on drinking. I favor a drink, here and there, too. Just saying, it's best to save the drinking for after the singing.

And you get some kudos for getting in front a crowd to sing, even if only a few clapped.

Seriously, I want to hear more of your singing, perhaps in a better situation than this. And don't worry, I am also king of the crappy recording and have been told more than once, usually by the same respondent, that I need to start all over again, from scratch. So, I am no expert. Just a Led Zep freak.

I appreciate the reply and you where right, midnight after screaming at a football game and a few drinks... it takes a bit out of ya... Its also good to see another Zep Freak. Being a college student with limited time and budget, the best at the moment is weekend karaoke. I am working on getting a proper mic and get some better recording... I love doing I believe in a thing called love, its like my default song when im bored at the bar.

Anyway, thanks for the input ron!

Keep on Rocking!

I appreciate the reply and you where right, midnight after screaming at a football game and a few drinks... it takes a bit out of ya... Its also good to see another Zep Freak. Being a college student with limited time and budget, the best at the moment is weekend karaoke. I am working on getting a proper mic and get some better recording... I love doing I believe in a thing called love, its like my default song when im bored at the bar.

Anyway, thanks for the input ron!

Keep on Rocking!

I am glad you understood the intent of my reply. Because I think you are probably a good singer. This was just a night of "too much" of everything. Been there, done that.

Edited to add: Do you have a karaoke track for "I Believe in a thing Called Love"? I think I still have the one used and it was pretty good.

I wish, I have only done the song at karaoke... the few I have are my terrible attempts at audio editing, which I am still new at. If you have a good version Ill give it a try, just cant guarantee anything with my iPods recording, nor my headset.

Since you do not provide an email link under your login for me to send a file to, I have u/l'd to box . com. I will keep it up there for a few days.

https://app.box.com/s/eyfbvxrz42h77t1zp2kw

You can download from the page. And record however you may record.

I did listen some pitch problems, maybe because you started with already tired voice, and with your throat voice maybe what is pretty much the curse of the singers, I did not see any problem with reach high notes,so I supose you can work fine with the entire music. keep it up! :D

• 1 month later...

@1:20 - great note. To me it shows what you're capable of. The rest is pretty much what I've come to expect from karaoke (not a fan) but you've definitely got something.

Keep it up.

Thanks muzza. I know know bar karaoke is not the best place for improvement but its a bit of a mind relaxer for me at the end of the week. I started to follow along with some videos I found online. Once the school semester ends, I get some better Zeppelin recordings going.