FREE VOCAL LESSON

Rate this topic

Danielformica

I posted this in bobs magic moments and got no feedback..

Some people aske how I learned to sing and besides all the lessons I took later on through my career,(more just to see what I was doing when I did it right and how the voice works) singing along countless hours, blowing my voice out to Sam Cooke, Luther Vandross, Rod Stewart , Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye etc.. Is how I learned to sing.. Putting my ear to the speaker and feeling the sound and where and how they sang even when I couldn't reach the notes and blew myself out..

Here is a perfect example of great technique.. And go listen to him live at the Copa or live at the Harlem square club and listen to the rasp and the working he does but yet he is still on pitch not flat and not all light like some of you might think from hearing his studio stuff.

This is the best lesson I can offer ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDEBOyUH_w

Listen and watch.. You won't see him bearing down like he's taking a dump or look like he's thinking about covering or lowering his larynx or not moving his lips like a ventriloquist. Then if you think well he's just a light blah blah blah go listen to the Harlem square show and tell me he's got no umph!

his was a great and very sexy vocal performance ,but with all due respect Dan:

1 - This is indeed a lighthearted "easy" performance that doesn't take too much effort to deliver well for a trained vocalist.

2 - Your closing statement comes off as condescending. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about any of this stuff DURING PERFORMANCE, but you don't know for sure how or what he was practicing, experimenting or training with when off camera, not recording or not performing live. It comes off like your criticizing people for wanting to learn and to discuss technique. Isn't that what this forum is for?

that last part was more about learning how to sing verses choosing to be scared by all the voodoo that goes into technique these days verses singing. Not condescending if I came off like that I'm sorry please forgive I'm truly just trying to help in a different way

And again light hearted is still singing go listen to the Harlem square show. See I knew someone would say that ;)

Daniel - thanks for that. I didn't know too much about Sam cook before. That's a cool video and really illustrates what you're saying. I've been taking this type of approach since March and it is paying off.

He's blasting out screamed A4 over and over again like it's nothing ... or like his life depended on it! And goes to C5 later in the song. This is something you have to listen to all the way to the end. THIS is how you sing. :) (did I already say that? ;) )

Great singing, some really metal sounding notes in the harlem clip too!

Either way Daniel makes a good case, there is no physical need to move in order to sing, however there is a need to support and effort levels can be subjective. However from observing monster singers live and just singing you shouldn't have to kill yourself to sing.

I mean how much effort is it even possible to exert with your core alone? Tensing the lats or abs to 100% or whatever is not exactly hard work compared to say, heavy squats :P

If you want to go to School.... Go to Motown......

I don't know if Berry Gordy had a knack for developing talent or finding it, but it's all good.

A lot of our early 70s hits were first recorded by Motown artists. 70s rockers just replaced some of the horn lines with distorted electric guitar riffs.

great, great, singing.....why? i say a big component was his super strong mind/body connection.

i watched a docu on him that dan told me about.....he was a guy loaded with confidence and self esteem, felt there wasn't anything he couldn't do and more......

when you sing from a platform of "man, i'm getting up here and i'm gonna tell you all about it"...it just works.....his audience felt it because he felt it honestly....

that's the x factor!!!

now here's the tender side of him...equally moving..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0N1azg9TI4

Danielformica, I actually saw your post, and although I didn't write too much about it, besides "Sam Cooke is epic" hahah I did a pretty extensive analysis by myself later.

Thanks for providing me of an excellent source of study, Daniel. I knew him, but there is an incredible amount of material in youtube to learn from, that I wasn't aware of.

[Daniel, please upload more videos to your channel!! heheh :) ]

Yeah I'm not saying that..everyone has bad nights some just more than others cause the technique is slightly off.. But this is a free vocal lesson thread please don't turn it into Lou Gramm thread:)

Depends on who is your "sacred cow."

Oops, I think I said that out loud.

Ok here's another secret!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBaBGBJwIGY

Awesome performance. I never saw that before. She's nearly flawless and it's totally live (no touch-ups). Why is she so good Daniel?

I believe it has to do with the right balance of air and cord closure without messing with the larynx or locking anything. And keeping in mind that singing is counter intuitive. As you sing higher use the same effort and think its not a higher note, its moving across not up.