FREE VOCAL LESSON

Rate this topic

Danielformica

Sam Cooke was THE MAN. Excellent singer, one of my favorites. Tone just FELL OUT OF HIM. He never pushed, though he did kick it into gear on the Harlem Square Club album.

I've submitted this before, but it bares repeating because the dude was such an inspiration.

Sometimes you gotta FORGET what you think you know to advance. I guarantee you that Sam didn't read all kinds of books about sub-glottal attack, thyroid tilt, or whatever. He just DID IT. Some people can just do it. He was one of them. So much of it is "feel" too. Listen to some of his old gospel recordings. He gets real yelly in some of 'em, but that's because he learned to sing in church (preacher's son). The women in church would go nuts when Sam sang.

This thread and the examples posted remind me of this pretty obscure band/song.

This singer has what I consider to be a super-beautiful, natural tone with just enough "smoke" to the voice to give it that "cool" edge without overdoing it. It's also a great voice lesson imo because the vocal is recorded and mixed very upfront so you can really hear and pick apart the subtleties of what's going on, I know I did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_DfpKUins

Was pretty surprised to find the singer was a white boy, sure don't sound like it to me :cool: