Questions about support

Rate this topic

waitwhat

Hello there, I've been taking singing lessons for about two and a half months now. I've just started finding my support, according to my teacher. I wanted to know if there was a way for you to feel it and to know when you've found it. I can usually tell, and it does sound different, but at times I get confused. Also, would it decrease my vocal range? I think I'm noticing a slight decrease in range when singing in that way, but I can't be sure. I was under the impression that good support would improve my range.

hi

a way to feel that you are using support is by coughing or laughing...try to cough or laugh, and analyse what's going on in your stomach...and you will see...after feeling it, now try to cough , follow the mechanism and slightly sing a note while doing it...

beside u said ur range decreases...this is something new for you...u have to adapt yourself doing it...and after more practices, you will understand and even sing higher than you think...singing will be easy...

practice ...

good luck to you

here is one of my video , I start using more support here when the background video changes and becomes black...here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI69tKYqBFs

I've been working on the things you guys have said. I have posted a clip of me doing this while singing high. I want to know (keep in mind I'm an absolute beginner), is this full voice(mixed voice?) or falsetto? It's more of a shout, really. https://soundcloud.com/jtl999/memo

I've got a stupid question.

You are paying what I assumed is hard-earned money from someone, whether yourself or a family member and you are asking us, rather than listening to your teacher? Because the advice pounded in by some here is to get a coach or teacher, that you cannot learn this through words, Someone who physically can see what you are doing, posture, alignment, and yes, breathing.

Granted, you say you've been going to lessons for an entire two and half months. Is that once or twice a week? And you don't yet have 10.5684 octaves in any timbre like dial-o-voice? I'd say, give it some time, listen to your teacher.

Your clip is sort of mixed voice but unrefined. I would suggest backing off the power at first and focus on practicing it smooth manner. Go lighter if necessary and focus on going from low to high in a smooth steady motion without the pitch wavering and flip you did in that clip. Doesnt have to be perfect but at least close enough to know youre on the right track. Some of my sloppy practice in the past created bad habits im just starting to fix now and I don't want you to have to go that route, its a nightmare. Gradually add power over time, making smooth coordination a higher priority, and I think you will avoid the mess I got into.

^ Fair enough. And I want to listen to it but my old computer is having problems with that page. Your link is good. My computer is cranky.

And I can understand wanting to hear others' opinions. Maybe our opinions are "neutral" since you are not paying one of us to say, "yes, that's nice, I like it," that is not necessarily what you are paying your teacher to do. And many is the person here who is a student of one or another of the vocal coaches we know here and even so, they will post a song or file for review. And there is something of a merit badge or trophy if you can get some picky singers to like what you did. I still do it, now and then.

What does your teacher say it is? Point being, a teacher can, indeed, hear you acoustically, without the artifacts of modern digital recording. Although, since most music modernly is digitally recorded and mastered and in many cases, that is now the format of release, one could ask, does this sound good as a recording, which might be a more accurate recording.

Why do I say this? Because I can do some high notes that are clean and not overloaded in volume for someone in the same room with me who has had singer training and the tuning of his ear and confirmed it was a cleanly executed "head voice" note. And yet, in a recording, others here would describe it as falsetto, because that is what they think I am doing to create that note.

So, for us to comment on your recording is bound by the same limitations. We can comment on what we hear, which may or may not be what you were actually doing.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I haven't asked my teacher about it yet, I don't think I should be singing that high yet, actually. I'm not ready for it, yet. I need to go back to practicing on the basics first, haha.

It still won't play all the way through, for me. However, I could hear the siren at the beginning of the recording. That sounds like "head voice" to me, regardless of how it feels to you. And, in the end, the sound is what important, the mechanics secondary, only as a support to achieving the sound that you want.