ann wilson (heart) on voice

Rate this topic

VideoHere

I read the auto-bio of the Wilson sisters. "Between Heart and a Rock Place."

The only voice teacher Anne ever mentioned by name and credited with giving her the advice she needed to last was her high school choir teacher, Alan Lund. He gave her the mental image of her breathing apparatus. Think of it as a pitcher. At the tap, when you fill the pitcher, where does the water fill first? The bottom, of course.

Originally, their parents bought the guitar for Anne and she fiddle with it without much luck. So, Nancy picked up and took off like a shot, a "natural." Nancy can actually sing as well as Anne but Anne had the "lead" voice and Nancy just preferred playing amazing guitar.

I believe we all have it. How and where to find it is the question. :cool:

Sometimes it takes the right person or situation to bring it out. :)

It is like Michelangelo, You just have to find that block of stone and chip away what doesn't belong and find whatever is hiding underneith.

You either have it or you don't? That's a loaded question.

For there are a number of people that were not that good to begin with but with lessons and work, they got better.

Of course, Anne practices, like any musician practices. But she does not practice trying to make her voice into something it is not. Her practice is to maintain what she has. And, by her own admission, improving pitch over the years.

Is she wrong for feeling that some have it, some don't? Who knows. She is not a voice teacher, so she is not a voice expert. However, I don't think she is holding anyone to a vocal standard, either.

You have a voice. A number of people like it, or don't.

I think she does have a point about some people "having it". Most people can learn to sing, but not everyone can create great melodic vocal melodies and lyrics. Not everyone can connect to an audience with pure emotion ringing through their voice, its the "it" factor. Its possible to have great vocal technique and impress vocal coaches, but its also possible to bore audiences at the same time, I know a couple guys like this, but their doing what they love so I cheer em on. My favorite vocalists don't know squat about vocal technique, what does that say? That we should give up if its not a natural gift to us? No, we just have to take a different path, a path of attaining success through hard work, and it feels really good when you bear the first fruits of your labor.

I'm reminded of the two best football (or soccer as we call it in the states) players in the world. Messi and Ronaldo. Messi is the naturally talented one, he didn't have to practice much, it all came very easy to him. Then you have Ronaldo, who would practice hours on end every day since he was a child, it didn't come natural to him, he had to work at it.

The "IT" factor is a combination of Courage,Desire,Passion and Ability. Enough of either of these can be the determining factor.

Bob Dylan did not have the singing ability BUT he had Desire and Passion. Enough to overcome the lack of the other two.

We all can be taught how to sing. That is not a problem. Desire and Passion are things things that you either have or not. Courage and Ability can be taught.

Desire and Passion can be inspired by someone else.

So each can lead to the other.

The It factor is in all of us. But it can lay dormant and untapped until the right situation brings it out.

You guys missed the obvious answer. It's not a case of you have it or you don't.

That's why they invented rap and death metal. Music for people who can't sing.

...oops, did I say that?....

I think that those fall under the heading of desire and passion.

It is not always that you have a desire and passion for singing. It could be desire for Money or the Spotlight.

Even a desire to get your message to the people. Whatever that message is.

Whether it is Rap or DeathMetal or Disco or Scat from the old days or even dare I say it Bluegrass, There is still a message and those who have enough desire and and passion for it to make it work and be Charismatic about it.

I advise anybody who likes metal but seems to think Death Metal is horrible to listen to every Death album from Human onward. In fact, here are youtube vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMuJ8u0UkjU&list=PLD1497DDA4D8F92C0

Now I know a ton of people only like music with actually sung vocals, but if anybody here is into metal that doesn't have amazing vocals/singing, such as thrash metal bands like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth etc and you haven't given Death a shot, you are GREATLY missing out.

EDIT: I couldn't find any youtube vids of the full albums so I linked playlists, Idk if they automatically move to the next vid in embedded videos or not.

Going back to Ann, didn't she have lessons from Maestro David Kyle? I bet Rob would know.

I think I may have mentioned this before. I have read the auto-bio of the Wilson sisters. The only teacher of voice Anne ever mentions is her choir teacher in high school, Alan Lund. And it's not like she's hiding anything or trying to create a mystery. And trust me, I was watching out for it. Not one mention of David Kyle. Not in passing, not for a few lessons. Nothing, nada, As if she never heard the name. So, outside of that, I suppose someone could try and contact her to verify that, even if that means discounting her own words in her own book.

Just as Lou Gramm admits wearing his voice out and getting singing lessons with a retired opera singer and it helped him.

Nothing against her, nothing against David Kyle. Just sayin' ....

Anyway, I liked what Duce said. Having "it" or not having "it" is a matter of musicality, rather than some etched in stone ideal of vocal beauty.

Bravo, Duce.

Question, as this is a mystery. What protege'? And why would Anne mention her choir teacher but not David Kyle? Or did she visit with him and decided it was better to never, ever mention his name? And why would that be? It doesn't make sense.

Question, as this is a mystery. What protege'? And why would Anne mention her choir teacher but not David Kyle? Or did she visit with him and decided it was better to never, ever mention his name? And why would that be? It doesn't make sense.

Maybe she went for like a lesson and felt that she didn't learn enough from him to really consider to have learned from it? I know I technically learned some things in choir class in high school, but I would never think I had any kind of training nor credit my choir teachers if I was listing my teachers or training.

Couple that with the fact that it would make sense from a marketing standpoint to say you had Ann Wilson as a student, even if it was only for like 15 minutes one time.

sorry, the death metal thing just doesn't do it for me...also disagree on part of your thrash comment.

James Hetfield does have quite the melodic voice, more so than his other thrash counterparts. He doesn't any serious range. He just didn't use it that much when Metallica started...the rest of them, I agree with.