Question on Head Voice

Rate this topic

Jabroni

Hello TMV!

This is my first post, so I'll introduce my self quickly but I don't want that to be the focus of this thread.

I found Robert Lunte of TVS when I was looking up how Geoff Tate could possibly sing the way hoe does (or did), and I stumbled upon the fact that he was taught by Maestro David Kyle.I then found Robert Lunte and his awesome training program The Four Pillars Of Singing.

I've been "singercizing" for a while now and I have a decent feel for head resonance and "top-down" phonantions. Yesterday I attempted a siren using a TC Helicon MP-75 mic that was plugged into my computer. I recorded this with Audacity and added a bit of reverb.

My question is: is this a "full" head voice? To me, it sounds somewhat shrill and bright, but that could be due to lack of larynx dampening, excessive squeezing of the twanger, or many other things.

I know I still have a lot of work to do, but I just wanted to test out what I sound like through a mic with a siren.

I was wondering what you guys thought. Thanks, and I'm glad to now be a part of this forum!

It depends what you mean by "full head voice." I have personally really stopped from thinking if I'm singing in head voice/falsetto, and go more for a "does it sound like I want it/like it to." Regardless, I would say it is head voice if there's no air leakage, which it appears to be absent in your clip, so I would call it head voice.

However, I wouldn't call it "full" in the sense that it is comparable to Geoff Tate for example, or has that "illusion" of chest voice. I would say that all of the reasons you list ie too much twanging, not enough larynx dampening are exactly the problem.

I assume you have Pillars? If you do, I would work with the "dampen & release" and the "wind and release" onsets. That's what really helped me go from where you are at to a much more "fuller" sound.

Good luck, from a fellow member who also stumbled upon Rob Lunte/Pillars by idolizing Geoff Tate and trying to figure out his training/techniques! :cool:

did you listen back and hear where your voice changed timbre?..... where your voice clicked and broke to the lighter tone?

try it again and try to avoid that happening. slow it down a bit too.

This, I also forgot to mention how your voice cracked as you entered head voice, make sure to do slow sirens to help eliminate that.

It depends what you mean by "full head voice." I have personally really stopped from thinking if I'm singing in head voice/falsetto, and go more for a "does it sound like I want it/like it to." Regardless, I would say it is head voice if there's no air leakage, which it appears to be absent in your clip, so I would call it head voice.

However, I wouldn't call it "full" in the sense that it is comparable to Geoff Tate for example, or has that "illusion" of chest voice. I would say that all of the reasons you list ie too much twanging, not enough larynx dampening are exactly the problem.

I assume you have Pillars? If you do, I would work with the "dampen & release" and the "wind and release" onsets. That's what really helped me go from where you are at to a much more "fuller" sound.

Good luck, from a fellow member who also stumbled upon Rob Lunte/Pillars by idolizing Geoff Tate and trying to figure out his training/techniques! :cool:

Thanks for the tips. I've been working on dampen and release and quack and release as well as a little of wind and release.

• 2 weeks later...

did you listen back and hear where your voice changed timbre?..... where your voice clicked and broke to the lighter tone?

try it again and try to avoid that happening. slow it down a bit too.

Okay, so here was my first real attempt at a melodic 5th siren workout, from The Four Pillars of Singing.

I think around the 3 minute mark, I get into head voice (maybe? I'm not sure.)

I started to strain and get a tickle in my throat so I ended up stopping after a while.

jabroni, i'm not too familiar with rob's teaching method... the only thing i can suggest is to get with rob and have him help you with what he is teaching.

there are things i hear that aren't quite right, and if you don't get a clearer picture from rob on exactly how to do these correctly, you may very well end up hurting yourself.

all i can offer you is that "may" start he does has to gradually modify generally to more of an "eh" as in "egg" and in the upper notes it should be modified again towards "i" as in "dig."

but not mechanically..more by mental intension.