My control of breath support feedback!?

Rate this topic

quietstorm

So i started to go to a singing teacher and learned all the basics for singing according to her way of teaching..

I was told I have poor breathing and thats why I cant support properly. Thats sort of fair enough.

So I learned how to do more low breaths. What i do is as i inhale i also relax ALL my stomach muscles.. and When I tried to sing I could feel a huge difference in my voice straight away. I feel I can sing more with a rounder timbre in chest voice, and also sort of transist into headvoice. (But need to do it carefully so I dont break).

Now about the support. I got exercises for that too, but what I find with them is that I sort of work too hard.. I do understand which muscles to use now, but i forget to breathe properly when I focus on support!!! Lol

However.. When I focus on breathing, I feel my support muscles activates automatically? I can feel a gentle pull with the correct muscles when I focus on the breathing more than the support. And my support muscles activates more or less depending on what pitch of volume i sing.. Obviously im going to learn more singing.. :)

But just to ask you, is it common or lets say.. Possible that i get the support work right when i get the breathing right? Is just that I want to hear your opinion out there too.. Coz apparently correct support comes along with correct breathing?

Hope for nice feedback :)

I think each person finds support in their own way. The way I learned was to lift a chair from the back and hold it in from of me - then I could feel all those muscles working. I would actually sing holding a chair like that. Other people can learn by laying on their back with their legs up, and slowly lowering them while singing a siren or scale. I LOVE THAT ONE. There are plenty of support vids on youtube.

it really helps to reduce support down to it's lowest terms.

it is basically the control over exhalation...it varies according to your vocal demands .......

in normal breathing, exhalation is automated and you aren't even thinking of it...but when you sing it becomes not just the means (exhalation) of expelling carbon dioxide, but a motor force that propels the vocal folds into vibration to help produce a tone.

But just to ask you, is it common or lets say.. Possible that i get the support work right when i get the breathing right? Is just that I want to hear your opinion out there too.. Coz apparently correct support comes along with correct breathing?

Yes and sort of, respectivelly.

If it works, dont worry, just do it ;)

it really helps to reduce support down to it's lowest terms.

it is basically the control over exhalation...it varies according to your vocal demands .......

in normal breathing, exhalation is automated and you aren't even thinking of it...but when you sing it becomes not just the means (exhalation) of expelling carbon dioxide, but a motor force that propels the vocal folds into vibration to help produce a tone.

I was watching an Alexander Technique seminar and the teacher expounded that inhalation is the reflex to the action of exhalation... which has been a great way to look at it for me. It discourages the weak unconnected breath being taken and sometimes (worse!) being held before one begins to sing.

slow, for me personally i rarely, intentionally pull in or actively draw in air to sing...i just expand all around me down below and i get all i need.

You mention that when you inhale and expand all around is all you need to get the right support.. So is it then possible that when doing the right inhalation, by means that the abdomen muscles relax, the right support muscles will activate automatically?

You mention that when you inhale and expand all around is all you need to get the right support.. So is it then possible that when doing the right inhalation, by means that the abdomen muscles relax, the right support muscles will activate automatically?

You are half right. Proper inhalation is not an exertion. It is achieved by letting that abdomen relax. The exhalation for singing should be controlled, however. And this will take some training, some practice. Fluidity. I describe breath management as being agile and mobile. Always engaged when singing, whether tightly held back, or let loose, or slow way down, it is to be controlled. Until it feels like "automatic." Most people shouting are driving too much air.

One of the best examples I have seen of control of the breath, outside of Robert Lunte's breathing videos, is watching actor William Shatner. Turn the sound down. You can still tell when he speaks. His abdomen engages, a result of years in theater before moving to tv and movies.

slow, i didn't say anything about support. i said i get all the air i need. support is controlling the air (control of exhalation)....the point i wanted to make is you do not want to actively tank up with air. too much air taken in upsets a needed balance.

you need surprisingly little air "volume" to sing, but you have to have air pressure, sometimes very little, other times quite a bit.

VIDEOHERE, Ronws, and other people...

I have practised my breath and support thing today.. What I find is that If I get both things right, it's quiet coordinative..

When I'd relax the ab muscles, I'd have a better chance achieving to activate the correct support muscles (in my case i like to control mostly with the waist muscles).. Basically about the breathing, i just feel i overdo it so what i do is just relaxing the ab muscles when inhaling air, and activate my waist muscles when producing sound.. Does that make sense of correct breathing and support?

Oh when activating the support musc.. I have to be careful that i dont tense them, but more sort of let them act like "jelly" :)

Thanks for sharing guys

When I'd relax the ab muscles, I'd have a better chance achieving to activate the correct support muscles (in my case i like to control mostly with the waist muscles).. Basically about the breathing, i just feel i overdo it so what i do is just relaxing the ab muscles when inhaling air, and activate my waist muscles when producing sound.. Does that make sense of correct breathing and support?

Yes, this ^. That is, for me, the abs are not over-taut, per se, but they are engaged in controlling how much air is being released. At the beginning of learning this coordination, it can seem that one is getting some exhaustion in the abs. And that is okay and it will pass. Better to have this feeling there than in the throat. This allows the larynx and folds to do whatever they need to do to make a pitch. And the volume of the note comes from how you resonate.

VIDEOHERE, Ronws, and other people...

I have practised my breath and support thing today.. What I find is that If I get both things right, it's quiet coordinative..

Oh when activating the support musc.. I have to be careful that i dont tense them, but more sort of let them act like "jelly" :)

Thanks for sharing guys

Depends on the results. Feeling stuff means little if the result on the voice is not correct. Your teacher can help with that. Continue to do what you were instructed. And sing a lot.