riffs and runs naturally?!

Rate this topic

rurokenji

hi guys,

I have always wanted to perform riffs and runs while singing. However (not sure if it's because i am still a newbie to singing) but like whenever, i do them while singing , it just seems so forced? Like i have friends who are singers and when they sing (like not professionally or anything), they are able to sing verses with riffs and runs that sound natural. Does anyone know what i have got to do to be able to sing with riffs and runs that just sound like they are being executed naturally without sounding forced. Well, like i want to be able to just randomly sing verses with riffs without me thinking (ok, now to sing a riff there and then)..

Hope i managed to explain myself clearly....

Quick experiment, imagine your own voice sound doing one of these riffs or runs. Is it clear and vivid on your head?

Thats the start. If not, listen to some of the executions you want to be able to do, from other singers. Then imagine it, sing it slowly, and record with a cell phone.

Listen to your own result, create a vivid image, repeat without reference, speed up. Do it again on the next day.

In other words, train it.

in addition to felipe's great advice, riffs and runs are based off control with agility and agility comes from release...

some singers have this ability naturally... others have to work at it.

like any skill start slow and try short ones first where the notes are closer together to get the feel of them. as simple as moving between 2 adjacent notes.....which will also assist you with vibrato...

but please......all the younger singers.....please don't overdo them......lol!!!

Hi guys,

thanks for the responses. I have also been told that singing lightly, effectiveness (almost as if i am talking) would help. Anyone got any tips how i can try and sing lightly, effectivelssly (as if i am talking)without making it a conscious thing..

I already am taking singing lessons and covering exercises..

Listen to Steven Tyler on "Rag Doll." He does some scat singing near the end. Practice stuff like that, in a comfortable part of the voice. It helps to think of the voice as a musical instrument, rather than a means of poetry recitation.