2nd attempt cover for Iris By Goo Goo Dolls

Rate this topic

RHan

In past few weeks, i've been working on fixing the problems mentioned by people here especially on nasal sounds, pronunciation, and etc. I also have been searching my own natural voice and everytime i sing, i dont even know which one is my real voice because everytime i think that i found it, someone will tell that i got it wrong lol. By the way MDEW and Ronws really have been helpful in giving me advice and tips. So once again i cover this song called Iris to check my progress. Please give me critique and tell me if i did any mistakes in this cover thanks a lot. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bghf6iF79JE

you are still struggling a bit with that A4 in the chorus. Also, you are washing out the sound of your voice with all the effects. I would tone it back a bit lol. Sounds better than last time, so keep up the good work!

Much better, to me, than the earlier recording. Mostly because you did clean up your sound, to my ears. Which may be mostly an aesthetic concern on my part. This has less through the nose nasality than you had before, as I have never liked air nasality. This has the right balance of nasalence, which all humans have, using sinus cavity to resonate but not as an escape path for the note. You got that part right.

On the high passages that Keith is talking about, he notes some struggle or what sounds like it and I think you can fix that, too. We know you can already sing a note at, for example, A4. That is not in question. What I think you can do, whether for this or other songs in the future, just to make it easier for you, is to remember this mental thing.

The singing voice is a musical instrument, not an organ of recitation of poetry. While there are lyrics telling a story, it is not important to speak the lyrics in a certain accent, it is better to carry the melody, as shaped by the words, if that make sense. That is, let your voice configure however it does for notes in this range and treat it like a flute, with the light articulation you now have to shape the words. An exercise would be to sing the chorus using one vowel, regardless of pitch. ee deent theenk theed eendersteend .... sounds silly. do it, anyway. Just for giggles, just for a laugh. Treat it as a funny voice. The point is to break out of the "speaking" the lines and, instead, sing them. Once you get past the giggles, then you can get a sense of singing by formant or throat-shaping or whatever you want to call it.

On the whole, this version is much better, in my opinion, than your earlier version. And the advice about the high stuff is just to maybe make some things easier for you.

Peronsally I don't think this was much of an improvement. There were some things you did better and some you didn't. Yes, your tone is better, but it's making you sing heavier and struggle on the high notes. I think that you were already on the right track with your first two covers. It may have been nasal but you were singing the high notes easily and with good power, so your technique was probably at a better starting point. Then again I am not an expert.

I would recommend sending an email to Felipe Carvalho from this forum with links to your covers of this and ask him which he thinks is the best starting point and what you should work on training to get better. The reason I'd recommend consulting him is because his voice is not too different from yours (in terms of range, weight, overall approach), and he made his own cover of Iris that was fantastic, so he'd probably be able to give you great help on how to refine your sound to sing this song better.

Good luck. All of your Iris covers have been good, so whatever you do next, you can be confident that, whether it's a big improvement or small, it will probably be good too. :)

you are still struggling a bit with that A4 in the chorus. Also, you are washing out the sound of your voice with all the effects. I would tone it back a bit lol. Sounds better than last time, so keep up the good work!

Actually im quite not sure how to sing the chorus part :P because sometimes i sing it without much tension, then i sound less 'power'. so this one i try to put more 'power' in singing the chorus, but when i hear my 1st cover i guess i sound better if i sing like the old one lol. and then about the effects, whick effects that washed out the sound of my voice? because i use some reverbs and warb tube, and compressor.

Much better, to me, than the earlier recording. Mostly because you did clean up your sound, to my ears. Which may be mostly an aesthetic concern on my part. This has less through the nose nasality than you had before, as I have never liked air nasality. This has the right balance of nasalence, which all humans have, using sinus cavity to resonate but not as an escape path for the note. You got that part right.

On the high passages that Keith is talking about, he notes some struggle or what sounds like it and I think you can fix that, too. We know you can already sing a note at, for example, A4. That is not in question. What I think you can do, whether for this or other songs in the future, just to make it easier for you, is to remember this mental thing.

The singing voice is a musical instrument, not an organ of recitation of poetry. While there are lyrics telling a story, it is not important to speak the lyrics in a certain accent, it is better to carry the melody, as shaped by the words, if that make sense. That is, let your voice configure however it does for notes in this range and treat it like a flute, with the light articulation you now have to shape the words. An exercise would be to sing the chorus using one vowel, regardless of pitch. ee deent theenk theed eendersteend .... sounds silly. do it, anyway. Just for giggles, just for a laugh. Treat it as a funny voice. The point is to break out of the "speaking" the lines and, instead, sing them. Once you get past the giggles, then you can get a sense of singing by formant or throat-shaping or whatever you want to call it.

On the whole, this version is much better, in my opinion, than your earlier version. And the advice about the high stuff is just to maybe make some things easier for you.

Thanks a lot Ronws for those tips. I definitely will try it later, after my sister go to sleep. :D

Peronsally I don't think this was much of an improvement. There were some things you did better and some you didn't. Yes, your tone is better, but it's making you sing heavier and struggle on the high notes. I think that you were already on the right track with your first two covers. It may have been nasal but you were singing the high notes easily and with good power, so your technique was probably at a better starting point. Then again I am not an expert.

I would recommend sending an email to Felipe Carvalho from this forum with links to your covers of this and ask him which he thinks is the best starting point and what you should work on training to get better. The reason I'd recommend consulting him is because his voice is not too different from yours (in terms of range, weight, overall approach), and he made his own cover of Iris that was fantastic, so he'd probably be able to give you great help on how to refine your sound to sing this song better.

Good luck. All of your Iris covers have been good, so whatever you do next, you can be confident that, whether it's a big improvement or small, it will probably be good too. :)

Thanks Owen, i will try to email him later. I guess in the process of getting rid of my nasal sound probably affect my old technique.

*really appreciate SO MUCH for all the feedback and advice from you guys. thanks guys!

Every time you add an effect into a mix (for any instrument) you get a little less of the tru sound of your voice. The proper way is to mix effects on a separate channel so you can use channel EQ and stuff to bring back the natural sound of your instrument.

I think the old way was better, it had enough power, at least for my taste, and allowed you to navigate that range easier. But it's also worth noting the new tone was better. And I think it's a better starting point to find an easy way to sing and then tweak the tone of that. Rather than trying to get a great tone in a way that makes it harder to sing.

As for effects I think Keith is talking about the reverb. There is a little bit too much. The other effects were fine.