What do you think about my voice / video ?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello,

My name is Mandy and i'm new on this forum.

I really like singing and would love to make youtube videos.

In the past few days i recorded my first cover.

I'm a little bit insecure about my voice, so i was wondering if

you could give me some feedback / advice.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8PCriRjos

I'm really curious about what you guys think of my cover.

Mandy

Very nicely done, I would say.

As for claiming you're insecure about your voice, I'm just going to let Ron address that matter....lol.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

And here I am, ronws, I am here to save the day!

Or maybe not. It could be a denoument, rather than a triumphant call to action. I saunter in, cape flying behind me. Between edits, you see me chugging geritol and Ensure. (Hey, it's tough being a superman and requires chemical support. And in the right light, you can see how my hair is thinning.)

So, you brought us a well-thought, almost "Glee"-like dreamy video of really good singing, with harmony singing of a song that really puts the voice out in front. It's one thing to hoot some choruses in the midst of a loud, rocking track. A soft ballad like this, the singer is out there, naked, so to speak.

So, there you have it. Solid singing chops, which is most important, here, striking physical beauty (I don't mean you are okay to look at, I mean guys are going to hurt themselves as they run into street lamps watching you instead of where they are walking, and, who knows, maybe a few women, also,) an inerrant sense of song presentation and phrasing that is pro or should be.

Anyway, Validar is right. You are already good, so go out there and be the next combination of Adele and Christina. And I mention those two because they are accomplished singers, rather than other entertainers who are more known for their costumes and stage get-ups than they are for a unique thing for singing.

I think you have the stage presence to cover Annie Lennox, if you dare. And no, you don't have to speak with a northeastern scottish accent (from the town of Aberdeen. )

Hello,

thank you Keith, Validar, Jugulator and Ron for your advice / feedback, I really appreciate it!

I never thought I would get a response, and definitely not a positive one haha

I will take all the information you gave to me, and try to work on it!

I'm gonna try to make another cover, if you guys have any suggestions on what song would suit my voice, i would love to hear it. :)

Actually, I think Mandy, you could rule the day on some Eurythmics stuff, or even Annie's solo stuff like "Why?" and "No More I love You's." Or, my favorite, "Miracle of Love" from the Eurythmics album, "Revenge."

• Administrator

Very nice, Mandy :)

May I suggest you join our "Social Media" Site and upload your video(s) ?

I sent you an invitation....

Here's a quick link to upload videos >> http://www.themodernvocalist.com/video/video/new

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Do it, Mandy. Not only will you have a page to collect your videos but Adolph can get it into "featured video." And you can set your page up however you want. And it's as easy as what it took to get yourself into the forum. Your email addy (non-published, if you wish,) and a password of your choosing.

• Administrator

Hello,

thank you Keith, Validar, Jugulator and Ron for your advice / feedback, I really appreciate it!

I never thought I would get a response, and definitely not a positive one haha

I will take all the information you gave to me, and try to work on it!

I'm gonna try to make another cover, if you guys have any suggestions on what song would suit my voice, i would love to hear it. :)

I may be completely "off track" here, but how about some Amy Lee ? :) Perhaps an acoustic rendition ?

Adolph

Edited to add : Ron and I are always referring our forum members to join the "Social Media" site of TMV World and encouraging the members to submit videos. What I've noticed, however, that once they join and submit their videos, there are no further interactions.... May I suggest that the membership gets involved, check the Featured videos and comment, or at least indicate a "Like" ? It doesn't take that much time and I'm sure our members would be appreciative :cool:

Navigate to >> http://www.themodernvocalist.com/

and scroll down to the "Featured Videos"

Thank You !!! :cool:

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

I think you are right, Adolph. The media site could use more traffic. But a number of members don't spend much time there. A large number spend time in debates. And others really are looking for critical acclaim. Applause from a general audience may not be enough. Applause from the more technically precise audience of fellow singers of all levels of competency seems to carry more weight. In the end, the music buying public decides how much of a success you will be. To that end, you can market yourself to audiences for your style.

The nice thing about the media site is that you can create the whole "brand" of what you do. Glamour shots, stills, vids, either as a story or live performance. Then, you have one central page, your page, that you can link in any correspondence you send.

You can consolidate to one page, rather than referring others to search through untold pages in the review section. Let's say that you want to get your recordings synchro licensed. Rather than send a cd crammed full of stuff, send a link to your profile page and they can see who you are and the span of your interests and talents. Make sure your songs are downloadable or link to a page of downloadable stuff. Because music directors may only have time to listen to stuff while driving in the car. If they can download to an mp3 device, they can listen in the car. So, when you do edits, check them on an mp3 player, such as ipod or a car stereo with an ipod jack. You have to consider how people are hearing your music.

mpe3 players vary from site to site, including the media site. Varying levels and complexity of decoding ability. o, a business file sharing site may have a very simple mp3 player, more suitable for just speaking and not giving a good playback for music. I have noticed on some of my stuff, it sounds better in playback in Audacity than it does in the media player of whatever file sharing site.

If I may add, when you mix stuff for presentation to the world at large, mix for the song, not for a vocal study. We sometimes have a tendency here to mix vocal heavy or prominent because we are singers, interested in the voice. In a song, the voice must be more "balanced" with everything else, though a good voice has "cut" and is identifiable. That's a whole skill set unto itself. Or get someone with a really good ear to do it for you.

If you go to other forums less focused on singing, link your page in there. I don't see a lot of bands looking for singers, here. Probably because they don't know about it. Because other musicians are just as illogical as singers. You would think, a band looking for a modern singer would look in place named the Modern Vocalist, right? Well, that's assuming others are applying that much planning. So, for others to hear you, you have to bring your music to where they are. And to have others interested in your singing, they are not going to have the time or patience to sift through untold number of pages in the review section of the forum to find your stuff. Better to have one page they can go to and there it all is.

A serious band looking for a singer would go through the effort of getting an account in the media page so they could contact singers they are interested in. And it costs nothing to do (thanks to Robert Lunte and the advertisers.)

Most of the videos in the media site are actually from youtube links and that is okay. Especially if you include a link to your youtube channel.