Rediscovering singing after time off - not sure of my actual talent!??

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi

I would be grateful for some constructive feedback on my voice in the below links - in both tracks I have co-produced the tracks with other people but have written all the lyrics and vocals...

https://myspace.com/neptunerisinguk/music/song/wilderness-3005020-2983354

https://myspace.com/neptunerisinguk/music/song/movement-with-mesa-verde-3035886-3014220

(The pics are a bit old now!)

I've been pretty self-critical over the yrs so it's time for some objectivity after starting a new life abroad recently. This'll give me an idea of what to focus on for my voice in terms of direction, style (or not as the case may be...)

Much appreciation for your time and efforts :) :)

• Administrator

Stormchaser,

I think you should upload your songs on your profile page in the "Social Media" Section" of TMV World just as you did here in the Forum section. I like both of them very much ! Both the vocals and your writing..... :cool:

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Hey, Storm, I agree with Adolph.

And you've got a great sound. Something like an amalgamation of the lady from the Corrs and Loreena McKennitt. (For those of you keeping score at home, McKennitt sang "Bonnie Portmoor" in the movie, "The Highlander." Now, how's that for an obscure reference? :D )

Definitely stick with the jungle beat. And keep up this adult comtemporary thing, with a bit of folk song thrown in. Seriously, you could make enough money to require you to move out of the UK as a tax exile. You have a great voice and a sense of style and those are the things you need. Not technical feats of daring-do, not the "applause" of critics and OCD singers. You need to be recorded, released, marketed. Like, now.

Is it unfair that you can take some time off and still sound this good? While others work themselves to a frazzle and still don't have a pro sound? Sure, it's unfair. Life is not fair, regardless of governments' attempts to "legislate" fairness. Just like I am 2 meters tall and can reach things on a high shelf that others cannot reach. That's not fair, to some. So, they can go have a good cry and a tissue and then get on with life, in their own way.

As you must, also.

So, they can go have a good cry and a tissue and then get on with life, in their own way.

Reminds me of that commercial when they say, "does a marine drill instructor make a good therapist"?

lol.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

Ah thank you so much everyone for your honesty - especially 'ronws' I'm really blown away actually by the comments. You know it's amazing when you take a leap to "put yourself out there" and seek critique on your work...and sometimes it comes good. I was genuinely terrified... :o

This has given me a MASSIVE confidence boost.

I agree that my sound should be kept with the adult, contemporary thing - slightly moody and melancholic... and I'm grateful for the 'sense of style' comment too.

I'll be doing 'bedroom recording' for a while so any tips on good production/home recording software to use on a Mac?? I've researched and found so many different ones - but to be honest I don't know where to start...

Thanks all for the boost :D :cool: Feel i can move forward now...

@ Adolph - you're a diamond for your advice too - thanks so much too. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Just gotta go find that Social Media section now... *goes hunting...**

I don't know about recording with a Mac but there are others who do have more experience in that. And we have a section on recording, as well as sections on gear.

And yes, you can record at home. My brother, Slstone, in this thread, recorded and produced his own album, Book of Shadows, with his own home recording get up. Yes, I have a signed copy. And yes, I paid for it. I support the arts by paying the artist for his efforts, family connections aside.

Yes, it can be done, especially as most recording these days is digital, anyway. So, your big expense should be geared toward buying the right recording equip and my brother, again, is a phenomenal resource on that, as well as being a provider of arranging and recording services (something he has done for years, in addition to his own recording projects.)

You can do this. And furthermore, I think you should. For I am also a part of the great, unwashed "music-buying public."

• Administrator

@ Adolph - you're a diamond for your advice too - thanks so much too. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Just gotta go find that Social Media section now... *goes hunting...**

Storm,

No need to go to the Social Media Home Page to upload your videos. On your profile page, in the left hand pane, scroll down to where you see "Add Music" and click there. It's all very simple from there :D

If you need any help, feel free to write me. I'm here to assist :cool:

Quote >>> "@ Adolph - you're a diamond for your advice too - thanks so much too. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!" :D;) :cool:

THANK YOU :cool:

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Edit : You can always count on ronws to give his honest assessment ! Hoping that others will chime in... ?

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Absolutely, Bro. Just ask me, I am the King of recording cheaply but well at home.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

If you know anything special about recording on a Mac, she might need that help. The only difference I have seen is that for some softwares, there are more PC-based plug-ins than there are Mac plug-ins but I don't know much past that.

Hey to all of you helping me... Thanks for all the advice!

I have a newer Mac now running Mountain Lion - I had Logic Pro 8 on my old Mac which is no longer compatible with Mountain Lion so am back to the start now - I have no problem investing in new / good stuff as long as it runs!

At the moment, I have an SE 2200a compressor mic, and a E-MU 0404 USB audio interface and a simple midi keyboard - but obviously the software I need will have to change...

The track 'Wilderness' was recorded with the same mic but the guy who recorded me at the time (as I didn't have my own gear at the time) had a more pro set-up using a PC.

Think I need to learn about what is best for what I want to achieve in a home setup...and just wanna get the right gear configuration.

I'm really open ears to any help :-)

My brother uses a firewire (spelling?) unit. Basically, it is outboard for recording of tracks and what not and you can print effects (the file gets saved with whatever effects you chained in before going into the computer.) It bypasses the computer sound board for both recording and playback. But you still bring the file or files into the computer for editing with software. I have heard good things about Reaper and Cakewalk. Basically, especially if you record the tracks dry (no effects in the signal chain before saving the file) you want a software that lets you change effects in real time.

Also, as I have learned, memory is cheap. Sure, have loads of memory on your computer. But you can also save to thumb drives or SD cards. And when you do, save as wav files. They are certainly bigger than mp3 files but when it comes to editing tracks before final press, you want as much of the original information as possible. Pardon the technical stuff but there is no way around it in recording digitally. Wav format saves all the data of the input. Every little squeak, etcetera. It also saves the softer dynamic parts of your sound, for you to deal with later. mp3 is a data compression format. It's like compressing a large file down to a zip file, in a way. When encoding to mp3, The prominent bits of data get first class seats, so to speak. Some of the finer elements may get lost. Mainly because of mp3 decoding at the other end.

In another thread, I likened mp3 encoding and decoding to differential and integral calculus. And I think I put people to sleep with that one. Point is, not all mp3 decoders are the same, not all mp3 players are the same. Mainly because they might be using a slightly different algorithm to decode. Therefore, finer notes can be lost. Sometimes, in playback, a track can sound scratchy. Not to mention the sound quality of whatever player is playing the music. The quality of the speakers and tonal response of whatever player. If you do an awesome track and are still playing it back through earbuds from your phone, the enjoyment will always be limited by the weakest link in the chain, such as playback circuitry and algorithm and quality of whatever speakers are playing the sounds.

So, when it comes to recording, you are no longer having to deal with only so much tape, like the analog monsters of the dinosaur age. These days, memory is cheap. So, get plenty of memory and a chip speed fast enough to access all points of memory. In fact, more than worrying about editing software, worry more about chip speed and interface.

And trust me, there are people that know so much more than I do that there is no comparison.