Eddie Vedder

Rate this topic

derekreno

So I saw PJ last weekend and was actually pretty damn impressed. I know over the years, especially in 90s rock, singers voices age or they change up their technique...Grohl, Cornell especially (he still sounds good) just not quite 90s cornell. Anyways, EV still sounded exactly like he did back on the Ten album.

Now PJ isn't quite as aggressive as Soundgarden, but I'm interested in your guys take on how one preserves a voice for 20 years. I was honestly completely blown away at how great he sounded, while drinking several bottles of wine on stage over a 2 1/2 hour show. Maybe he was just really on that night...

Some people are more durable than others. look at Bernhard Hopkins still boxing in his 50's and winning. Stevie wonder same key as the originals.. It all comes down to warming up and warming down after the show. I don't know if vedder does it but i do.;) Some people can still workout and walk and run in their 80's some can't and they both could have led a healthy lifestyle durability.....

I'm not saying he hasn't gotten better per say, more that his voice hasn't aged...to my ears anyways. His sound was still the quintessential "Vedder" voice. Whereas somebody like Cornell, who has taken up a lighter approach now, or he did last time I saw soundgarden, has really changed it up. Not saying he still doesn't sound good, I just think he fried his voice in the audioslave days ;)

Nothing to add other than I think PJ did an excellent cover of "Last Kiss."

I once saw an episode of "Iconoclasts." Actually, I watched several episodes. But my favorite was with Eddie Vedder and his friend, world-class surfer Laird Hamilton. Together, they would surf the "kiddie" waves that get up to 20 or 30 feet. Laird listens to PJ to get his head into the space to take on the 50 foot waves and higher. Waves so big, you have to have a waterski to pull you onto the wave because a human cannot swim fast enough.

And Eddie surfs to balance himself against the "rock world" thing.