The Trooper - Iron Maiden / Big City Nights - Scorpions

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, i made two covers, i chose two songs i like and have fairly easy melodic line. The microphone in the trooper was near enough so it clips a lot, when the vocals start, lower your volume because the music is much lower than my vocals. It is a 2nd take because i didnt press the record button the first time :D, sorry i messed the lyrics up. Big city nights is first take and i wasnt planning on posting, i recorded only to see how i sound when i have "burned" most of my voice and was recorded after singing 4 times the trooper.

I didnt feel any pain or strain (something noticable at least) while singing but after few hours i feel my throat burns, probably because of the distorion. I dont feel like this using "normal" voice but now i can talk and sing ok, only without my very highs C/D5+. I did a ~15' warm up before i sang, i could go up to D/E5 head voice or light mix fairly easily and up to G5 with some pressure. In total i lasted around 35-40'. *Forgot to mention, gradually i start feeling like my larynx is rising and i have a feeling like i am swallowing, something like choking and then it is impossible to access C/D5+ with either chest or head.

The Trooper: https://soundcloud.com/singingnewbie/the-trooper vocals start at 0:25, the original

Big City Nights: https://soundcloud.com/singingnewbie/big-city-nights-cover starts with vocals, the original

Feel free to comment and give any advice you can give. Thanks!

Sounds like you were having fun, however there was a lot of pitch issues, especially the high notes. It also sounded more like you where yelling a lot, but that is probably from your strained voice. You should probably not record with your voice stressed out. Keep practicing and try to work on some easier songs before working on difficult metal songs.

Keep Calm, ROCK ON, and GUNS UP!

Thanks for the feedback, yes i had a lot of fun! I probably yell a lot and i think that could be from the difficulty of the songs. I will try something easier and softer, i just get excited with this kind of songs. My teacher had told me that too about a year ago but it seems i need a reminder once in a while.

Cant hear it. Keeps sending me to download pages for software I don't want. Nothing on soundcloud?

Halfajack/ Albuquerque, NM USA

www.soundcloud.com/john-reilly-18
Www.soundcloud.com/sympathy4jack

Singingnewbie

First, you'd better change your file sharing resource to let the audience listen to your files without the need to enter passwords and download them.

Second, try to sing other songs which are easier for you to sing. I would recommend songs including as high as F4, not higher. Work on proper breath support and try to hold your breath as you go higher.

Jugulator - Just listened to Carrie (Europe) on youtube and it brought me back to my teenage years when I saw Europe in Chicago. It was my first concert and I remember it like it was yesterday. Anyway, Amazing job! For a moment, I went back in time. You F'n ROCK, dude!

Halfajack/ Albuquerque, NM USA

www.soundcloud.com/john-reilly-18
Www.soundcloud.com/sympathy4jack

Made a soundcloud account, new links available. Halfjack i am thinking that you are actually lucky you didnt hear them :P

Jugulator and IronZeppelin very useful advices, thats what actually i was told a year ago from my teacher (sing easier songs and not go over F/G4 without him) and i thought he was being over protective for my voice or underestimating my abilities, now i understand it was me being an idiot.

I'll try to upload something lower in pitch but almost all songs i like are at least near if not over A4. Maybe ill just transpose them and see if they sound decend.

I think you have the required range to do the songs but yes, you were pitchy in a number of places in both songs. However, in the Trooper, you hit one good lick. In the Trooper, you would go flat in the second half of the "whoa" chorus, as if you didn't know where the notes were. Last repeat, you got it.

And I think the problem is yes, yelling, and second, vowels. Clean up the vowels. For example, do your uh in the word up the way that Klaus Meine does it. Of course, he has an advantage. When he sings the word up, he is think in German, such as the word ab, pronounced ah-b, not aw-b.

On the words with the letter i in them, think and sing the ee sound. Once you get some cleaner vowels, I think a lot of your tuning problems will go away.