How much to inhale through your nose?

Rate this topic

jonpall

How much do you think you should inhale through your nose? Lately I've felt that if I inhaled through BOTH my nose and my mouth but with emphasis on keeping my nose open and making sure a good deal of the air goes in my nose during inhales, my throat seems to be more open and it's easier to sing songs that live in the passagio.

So does opening the nasal passageway during inhales somehow open your throat or lift your soft palate or something? Steven Fraser? Anyone?

lately, i'm training myself to intentionally configure into a yawn like setup when i inhale along with an inner smile...i've become quite conscious of lifting the cheeks when a sing and staying lifted in the cheeks. i really want the soft palate up and to stay away from dropping into the throat. this intentional lifting has really helped me a lot.

Everytime you reduce an unnecessary movement, like inhaling and changing the vocal tract completely only to readjust all the postures, it gets easier.

Nasal/oral ballance makes the tongue, velar port, mouth openning and lips postures to change. So the closer your inhale is to siging in terms of these postures, the easier it is to attack the note.

How much do you think you should inhale through your nose? Lately I've felt that if I inhaled through BOTH my nose and my mouth but with emphasis on keeping my nose open and making sure a good deal of the air goes in my nose during inhales, my throat seems to be more open and it's easier to sing songs that live in the passagio.

So does opening the nasal passageway during inhales somehow open your throat or lift your soft palate or something? Steven Fraser? Anyone?

jonpall: do it whatever way works best for you, with the caveat that 'catch' breaths in the middle of a phrase may need to be very rapid, and (either) too noisy, or not fast enough if done through the nose. Any breath before, in or after a phrase should be silent, and as unobservable as possible.

There is a correlation between a good, slow inhale through the nose and the relaxation of laryngeal suspension muscle tension. I know of some (German) pedagogies that use only that, for that reason. IMO, they are avoiding the problem, which is having a techinque that does not generate the tension in the first place... however, the deep 'sniff breath' does seem to work at releasing the accumlation if it occurs. Just do it quietly.

If you breathe through the mouth, shape the embouchure to what you will use in the vowel to follow.

FYI, breathing through the nose lowers the soft palate. If that moment of lowering helps in re-establishing the raised palate during actual singing, its fine. Personally, I am a mouth-breather mostly, and raise the palate (shaping the vowell, too) before the phrase onset.

I hope this is helpful.