Larynx rising and tension questions

Rate this topic

Singingnewbie

I have read/heard several times we should sing without tension, free the neck, free the throat etc. Is there any tension allowed while singing? When i try to reach the top of my range either it is g5 or a4 given the conditions, warmed up, slept well etc. I feel i have to tense the soft area bellow the jaw and above the larynx to reach these notes, not that i feel any pain or discomfort but i feel the muscles working. Should it be avoided, notice when that begins and stop right there? Is this natural cause i am near my limits?

Second, how do i know if my larynx is raised? How do you understand if someone sings with high larynx? I have a feeling of tension, chocking/swallowing trying to reach my upper range, after working on high stuff and my voice has worn out, on the area bellow soft pallet and above the larynx - back of my throat (like when we swallow). I feel no strain through my workout even with grit and i think my larynx is in neutral position maybe a little bit higher, not something serious. Is this cause i rise my larynx without understanding or what?

The subglottic pressure and the position of the larynx can both directly affect your singing. To learn how to sing better, you need to manage the flow of air to the vocal cords and keep your larynx in the lower or central position.

When the larynx becomes tense, the vocal flaps may close completely as subglottic pressure is formed. When that happens, the flaps will burst open when the pressure becomes high enough. This can result in an odd sound, almost like a clicking noise, before a tone is even produced. This is called a glottal attack.

When you begin to sing, the onset of tone resulting from the vibrating vocal folds is called the attack. Its name sounds more vicious than it really is; you don’t actually want pressure attacking your vocal cords, but you do want air flowing smoothly.

:)

Learn more at: Keeping Tension Out of the Larynx

Sometimes, singing may seem hard. But don't stop there, on the Internet, many singers are ready to help you. :cool:

The answer to both questions is moderation.

The larynx should be allowed to rise, you just want to train so that you don't have to take it up so high that it hurts.

Tension is required in singing, you just want to train so that you aren't using more tension than you need to produce the desired result, and that the tension is never painful.

Thanks off, i checked your site and it has very usefull stuff, very kind of you.

Owen that was a surprise to me as i expected some bashing like i should never strain etc. Once again it comes to personal observance (is that word correct? :rolleyes: ) the more i ask the more i understand going slow but steady is the way to go. Thanks.

and to add......

depending on what you are singing, how you want to sound while singing, what lyrics you are dealt, what notes you are singing, and other reasons i can't think of them all right now.....

the tension can feel very disconcerting, and you may actually find yourself backing down from the difficulties instead of forging onward and continuing with the "required tension" with a difficult piece.

this, i believe, trips up a lot of singers...that fear of straining often gets confused with working with the tension.

but if you train, and really develop a serious handle of how to manage the breath so you use as little air as possible to sing and you control the application of air (may have to hold it back at times) things get easier.

but can you learn this last part on your own? i believe some folks cannot.....