Embouchure... Vowels... Oh ?

Rate this topic

Been doing TONS of vocalizes.... descending slides. Trying to learn closure. My 2 largest problems are definitely support and the LOSS of support/resonance while saying words (draw drop) .

As soon as my jaw drops for certain words the air "leaks" out unintentionally.... which is a problem. The oo and ee vowels have been helping me a lot... but "too narrow" unlike vowels such as "AAAAH and UUUUH" where I can feel more resonance.

Now for descending slides I tried something different. I pretended as if I was surprised like inhaling an "Oh" my lips a little bit rounded and more open than a normal oo. The vowel/support felt a lot free-er and more easy to produce....

Did the same thing for EEE.... just simply THINKING the vowel Oh at the throat/lips helped reduce a ton of tension? Why? Perhaps because then I focus SOLELY on keeping the air in...

I am not sure... can someone explain this in detail to me and what exercises and principles can be applied so I can have the "closure" of the closed vowels with an OPEN mouth .

Hopefully, I did not confuse anyone! For me vowels is not the problem... the "changing" of CLOSURE and SUPPORT because of incorrect speech has translated into my singing vowels. Damn it. Time to get to work !

- JayMC :D

I started to experience a similar sensation today but here's the thing, you don't want to let the lips take on an "oh" shape. You just think the oh sound and form it by creating more space in the back of the throat, but the lips are still in a tall, pulled back ah position with the top teeth showing. During my lesson today I discovered that thought process can work wonders for releasing tension when belting around G4-Bb4.

That being said, I doubt what I experienced is the same sensation you're feeling. Unless anything has changed since I last heard your files, you have been a pretty light, heady singer. Whereas what I was working on today was chesty belting.

If you really wanna learn great vowel placement, start training heavy phonations. You'll find that if the vowel isn't dialed in right, you'll encounter a ceiling in your range where you can't go any higher, but when you find the most efficient vowel shade, that ceiling is lifted. And because in heavy phonations the vowel nearly makes or breaks the success of the phonation, learning good vowel placement by connecting it with the sensation of your successful high belts makes it way more obvious, precise and easy to remember. And then you can easily apply the placements you learned back to a lighter mix if you prefer to sing that way.

The oo and ee vowels have been helping me a lot... but "too narrow" unlike vowels such as "AAAAH and UUUUH" where I can feel more resonance.

If your ee's and oo's are good then try to open the vowel up gradually. Don't go all the way to "ah" or you will most likely throw away the balance.

Nick