How to sing in your own key

Rate this topic

Benns

hey guys,

Before i continue, let me just state that i don't really have much musical/singing knowledge in regards to the appropriate use of terminology and the like. So forgive me, guys lol.I sang a song once for someone and they once told me to sing in my own key. How do i sing a song in my own key? And what do they mean by that? Bear in mind guys, that i don't really have any music theory/knowledge or the like

Thanks!

It's hard to know exactly what they meant. My best guesses would be either you sang too high or low for your range and should change the key of the song to fit it better (which requires different accompaniment, so it's usually easier to just pick a different song), or you were off pitch somehow.

Well, the thing is that i was just singing it acapella (it wasn't planned or anything just sponatanetous) and like the song was originally sung by a woman but i sang it in a tone/range that i found comfortable :|

Yes.

I'd say don't worry about it. Non-singers can be pretty terrible at articulating what they hear, so a suggestion like "you should sing in your own key", which makes no technical sense, is pretty useless. Just ignore it, keep singing, you sound very good.

Yes.

I'd say don't worry about it. Non-singers can be pretty terrible at articulating what they hear, so a suggestion like "you should sing in your own key", which makes no technical sense, is pretty useless. Just ignore it, keep singing, you sound very good.

Pheeww! :) Thanks so much for that! That's cleared a load off my mind. Yeah, i guess, your right about non singers being terrible at articulating at what they hear. I guess, i don't have any problems with singing on key or the sort. The thing with me is that if i am about to sing a song and maybe the original is too high or low, i try to sing it within my range without straining. Also, i am a bit clueless with the whole middle/chest voice malarky. Am i singing in my middle/mixed voice in the clip or is it chest?

If you were singing in a tone/range you are comfortable with, then you are singing in "your key" the way understand it, if you were fighting for the lows or highs, not because of the range of the song, but because of bad key choice, then that comment would apply.

Ah, makes a lot of sense now! Thanks!

sounded like all chest to me. nice voice. i recommend you learn how to start with a fry and start gradually raising the volume until the fry becomes a pure tone which will help you learn to use less air to get more closure and compression. you're quite airy which is cool if you want that for the style but i have the feeling you weren't intending for it to be like htat.

Thanks for the reply! ha, yeah well i don't think i am intending to go for the airy sound but yeah, seems i still have a lot of work to do