How to stop over thinking while doing singing exercises?

Rate this topic

Benns

Hi guys,

Recently, i have been having this problem in which i over think while doing my singing exercises. Like thinking stuff like "am i pronouncing the vowels correctly" "am i hitting the right notes in the scale" "did i pronounce that right" etc. I have noticed that this may be hindering my progress as i am unable to perform the exercises properly as i spend the majority of the time over thinking rather than performing the exercises. I know the answer is simple which is to stop overt thinking but i just can't seem to do it.Due to my constant over thinking, i spend more time on each specific exercise than i should. Any tips, guys?

Thanks

Think and focus on just one thing at a time. For instance

On the ah scale I run it through one time only focusing on support. NOTHING else :P

Then you do it again ONLY focusing on the vowelmods

Then again only focusing on the legato line

Ect ect.

You wont be able to multitask concepts or feelings that are new to you, one thing at a time until it's second nature

Think and focus on just one thing at a time. For instance

On the ah scale I run it through one time only focusing on support. NOTHING else :P

Then you do it again ONLY focusing on the vowelmods

Then again only focusing on the legato line

Ect ect.

You wont be able to multitask concepts or feelings that are new to you, one thing at a time until it's second nature

Wow, that is a really good approach (focusing on the different things with each round you do the exercise)!! Thanks for that! Perfect for someone like me who likes to over think and over analyze haha

that's just it, if you're a d.i.y., the exercises won't always be correct.......let yourself be accepting of that. if you aren't losing your voice, aren't experiencing any real pain, you can't be that far off.

do your best...do it consistently....and it will get better.....

that's just it, if you're a d.i.y., the exercises won't always be correct.......let yourself be accepting of that. if you aren't losing your voice, aren't experiencing any real pain, you can't be that far off.

do your best...do it consistently....and it will get better.....

Well, i take singing lessons occasionally. Ha, well i don't think i have experienced any of the two so i guess, i'm doing ok ha.