in the spirit of chistmas

Rate this topic

VideoHere

hey folks,

i figured it might be nice to do an outstanding performances of christmas carols post.

i'll start off with a post of one of my favorite carols of all time.. "oh holy night."

for the beginner folks out there, this is one of the most difficult of carols to sing well mostly because of all the navigation through all the lyrics which are loaded with diphthongs, and the need to really manage the breath and stay with pure vowels.

david phelps performance on this video can bring on an emotional reaction in me.....unbelievable!!!

That was amazing!

Here is a video of a good friend of mine doing the same song. She is classically trained and we grew up together. She took to the vocals while I took to instruments. Now I'm trying to catch up to her! LOL

It's from facebook so I hope you can access it.

50890769df8725d9f82a924073cfa248

here's steve walsh (kansas) followed by john elefante (replaced steve walsh for a while).

note the similarities in timbre between walsh and elefante.

although many years of drinking and drugs got to walsh's voice. elefante never made it big, but the guy could sing....

no falsetto here folks...lol!!!

• 1 year later...
On 21.12.2015 at 0:15 AM, VideoHere said:

Benny, I always found his vowel choices & shaping interesting.

Yes it is all very boomy Overdrive vowels (Edge at the top). Almost sounds as if he is shouting the whole song, very well-done I think. Phelps is a bit more into Curbing/back resonant vowels. Ken is a bit more edgy/forward in the lower range already. The pitches are different of course.

On 12/23/2015 at 4:51 AM, benny82 said:

Yes it is all very boomy Overdrive vowels (Edge at the top). Almost sounds as if he is shouting the whole song, very well-done I think. Phelps is a bit more into Curbing/back resonant vowels. Ken is a bit more edgy/forward in the lower range already. The pitches are different of course.

It's good, but it takes some getting used to. LaBrie is unique.