Please comment on my singing honestly - ColdPlay/The Scientist

Rate this topic

Hi! Thanks a lot for the comment, it really helps me!

Can you please explain this "The intensity of the coda is correct - use that intensity for the chorus."

I am new to these definitions and I am not sure what do you mean by coda...

Can you please comment on my 2 other recordings please?

This one I found was pretty good ^.^

You got the mood from the original very well. I notice you have a very good ear, as you perceive the little details - and then be able to reproduce them, which is also another talent.

Keep up the good work, man.

You should definetly work a lot on your headvoice. Although maybe your focus is not ( I just assume, just correct me if I am wrong ) on power or a big chesty quality on your headvoice, it would be awesome for the style of music that you like to sing, to have a more compressed, focused, "with more core" kind of sound. More brassy.

You will have a lot more dynamics and control to play with.

I myself am kind of obsessed right now with compression and laryngeal strengh haha, so take my suggestion as a grain of salt xD

Hi! Thanks a lot for the comment, it really helps me!

Can you please explain this "The intensity of the coda is correct - use that intensity for the chorus."

I am new to these definitions and I am not sure what do you mean by coda...

Can you please comment on my 2 other recordings please?

I simply meant that when you sing the end (Ah ooooooooooohhhh) That you sing it in falsetto - the "nobody said it was easy" is supposed to be falsetto also, not full voice. it gives the song more dynamics and feeling too. I will listen to the others when I can - I am working right now (I DJ karaoke at a local bar)

This one I found was pretty good ^.^

You got the mood from the original very well. I notice you have a very good ear, as you perceive the little details - and then be able to reproduce them, which is also another talent.

Keep up the good work, man.

You should definetly work a lot on your headvoice. Although maybe your focus is not ( I just assume, just correct me if I am wrong ) on power or a big chesty quality on your headvoice, it would be awesome for the style of music that you like to sing, to have a more compressed, focused, "with more core" kind of sound. More brassy.

You will have a lot more dynamics and control to play with.

I myself am kind of obsessed right now with compression and laryngeal strengh haha, so take my suggestion as a grain of salt xD

Thanks Xamendhi,

Happy to hear that you like.. I hope I can produce better quality and performance as soon as I learn more and practice this new world of singing...

Can you please explain in a few words the concept of what you say about my headvoice? I think you would like my regular/main voice to be more trained, stable and strong.. but I am not sure. Explain as you would to a three years old child :)

Thanks!

I simply meant that when you sing the end (Ah ooooooooooohhhh) That you sing it in falsetto - the "nobody said it was easy" is supposed to be falsetto also, not full voice. it gives the song more dynamics and feeling too. I will listen to the others when I can - I am working right now (I DJ karaoke at a local bar)

So you're saying to sing that part of "nobody.." in falsetto.. What is coda?

Thanks Keith!!

Thanks Xamendhi,

Happy to hear that you like.. I hope I can produce better quality and performance as soon as I learn more and practice this new world of singing...

Can you please explain in a few words the concept of what you say about my headvoice? I think you would like my regular/main voice to be more trained, stable and strong.. but I am not sure. Explain as you would to a three years old child :)

Thanks!

Well, the important thing you want to know is that:

When you speak the folds [your cords] are closing a lot, which produces a "thick" kind of sound.

When you do a very high pitch (like imitating a girl, or when talking to a baby or a puppy for example) the muscles that you use in that configuration, with training... can make the folds come toghether so much, that it can sound just like your "normal" voice. And basicly that is how the guy from Muse does it, Steve Perry from Journey, Bruce Dickinson, Bruno Mars, etc..

When you do the "nobody said it was easy", is on headvoice.. but it is a very breathy kind of sound, with the folds very separate and with a lot of air passing through. That's what we usually call falsetto.

you could do a falsetto on your chest voice/normal voice too, you just have to relax so much that almost only air passes through.

Just to help you a little on the forum, because people here has different vocabulary sometimes and one has to be very flexible:

Chest voice/M1 [stands for Mechanism 1]

Headvoice/M2/Falsetto

Now, on lyrical singing and very often on popular, like we see on a lot of people and coaches here, like to call your headvoice ( which is the part of your range where the sounds vibrates more on your head, and also the part where the muscles are more weak ) falsetto.

Now, when they call that part of your range "falsetto", they will probably call that breathy quality... just breathy, or airy.. which is used for stylistic effects.

People who calls it headvoice, usually calls that breathy and airy configuration falsetto.

Now, when I say compression I am talking about the amount of adduction (closeness) your folds have. Which produces the air to come more compressed. That changes the sound completely. Think about Earth, Wind and Fire or Prince. Those guys use their high range a lot, but not breathy... they sound very thin and clear, very vibrant.

I hope this helps you understand better what people talks about in here :)