Certain Songs for certain voices

Rate this topic

ronws

I've been recording "I Remember You" by Skid Row. I can do the song, even though it is around my passagio on the refrains. I'm actually progressing quite well through it and am comfortable performing it. But I can't get the right sound, recording it. I have long been aware that a person sounds best in songs that they wrote or were written for them specifically. Is it also possible that some songs just don't record right because of the lyrics and the phonation required for a particular singer to do the song? There are times where I have done better on a song because I ignored the original melody line and, usually, went higher to hit a note that was more comfortable, as well as the song chose, with vowels and phonation that were more natural to me. I don't really have to do this song, it was just a lark but I have done probably a dozen vocal takes and I'm not happy with it. Partially due to inadequate equipment.

Playing the guitar and singing it at the same time works out well and I could probably get away with it on an open mic show.

But has anyone else noticed that some songs, while you are able to do them, don't come out in recording like they sounded when you were singing it?

It's funny, I had an easier time doing "Gethsemane" and "Holy Diver" and even "Dust in the Wind," in which the higher parts, depending on phonation used to feel like passagio but I had found a way through it without losing support.

I've been recording "I Remember You" by Skid Row. I can do the song, even though it is around my passagio on the refrains. I'm actually progressing quite well through it and am comfortable performing it. But I can't get the right sound, recording it. I have long been aware that a person sounds best in songs that they wrote or were written for them specifically. Is it also possible that some songs just don't record right because of the lyrics and the phonation required for a particular singer to do the song? There are times where I have done better on a song because I ignored the original melody line and, usually, went higher to hit a note that was more comfortable, as well as the song chose, with vowels and phonation that were more natural to me. I don't really have to do this song, it was just a lark but I have done probably a dozen vocal takes and I'm not happy with it. Partially due to inadequate equipment.

Playing the guitar and singing it at the same time works out well and I could probably get away with it on an open mic show.

But has anyone else noticed that some songs, while you are able to do them, don't come out in recording like they sounded when you were singing it?

It's funny, I had an easier time doing "Gethsemane" and "Holy Diver" and even "Dust in the Wind," in which the higher parts, depending on phonation used to feel like passagio but I had found a way through it without losing support.

ron, do you have an example?

would love to hear the example. may be, just may be, you need to record it right. I sing this song too, playing the guitar but without mic, and in the choruses I have to use a LOT of volume to hit the hight notes. If you are recording it in a normal recorder/vdo camera, that volume may create problems with the cheap mics that come with it. I am NOT sure about it but please upload a clip and also let us know how you are recording it?

The same way I record everything else. With this regular little desk mic for computer. One day, in the hopefully not to distant future, I would like to get a decent microphone but I just can spare the cash right now for something expensive. We have an administration in our country that seems intent on running everything but not for creating jobs.

If this is serious for you, then you should seriously consider paying a professional coach to be your vocal producer for the album/whatever.

If you want to sound "professional" in today's market, you have to play the game!

I may just have to upload a clip but there may not be much I can do about it.

I have just re-recorded it to a point that I can upload. Mr. Bounce, I know you mean well but I can't afford a decent mic just now, let alone a vocal coach. If I could, I would proably study with Steven. He's aquainted with the work here and he's only about 40 miles away from me. In Texas, that's nothing. Perhaps you misunderstood my initial points but thanks for trying to help.

Anyway, I'm saving to wmv right now and then have to upload to youtube. And then, I will put it in the critique section.

It may have been something physical for me. My job is extremely demanding physically and mentally. Right now, we show up for work by 6 am and leave at 2:30 pm. Our temps in north Texas have been bounce around 100 F. And we're remodelling a school and the air conditioning has been dismantled to make way for new stuff. You start sweating profusely at 6 and it doesn't stop until 2:30. Seriously, 8 hours of extreme temperature in addition to the physical exertion it takes to do electrical work (which is what I do.) I have been getting dehydrated. Cramps in both legs like you wouldn't believe when I am home, resting. I try to combat that with orange juice, bananas, plums. And I drink water all day. I keep a 20 ounce bottle in the parts pouch of my tool belt rig. I have a few more bottles of water in the car in a cooler and we have a 5 gallon water jug in the building. Nevertheless, I am working non-stop, as I have to compete with guys young enough to be my son. When I get home, I am just purely beat. I have enough energy to sit for a few hours before getting up to the dishes or my laundry, etc. So, I think it is sometimes affecting my voice. The previous recording I had let sit for a few days and I really sounded tired and strained on it. So, I think the endurance test I call work is having it's affect on me.

The same way I record everything else. With this regular little desk mic for computer. One day, in the hopefully not to distant future, I would like to get a decent microphone but I just can spare the cash right now for something expensive. We have an administration in our country that seems intent on running everything but not for creating jobs.

ron, don't feel bad ...my vocals are recorded via microsoft's windows xp accessory free "sound recorder" program using a logitech $20 pc mike too.

try it...it's not bad lol!!!

ron, don't feel bad ...my vocals are recorded via microsoft's windows xp accessory free "sound recorder" program using a logitech $20 pc mike too.

try it...it's not bad lol!!!

I think I spent $14 on the mic I have from Office Depot. And it's actually a little better than the mic that is in my digital camera.

I use audacity, which is free software. Where would I find logitech mics?

Not too long ago, Snejk complimented me on my range, which does cover quite a bit. But I have challenges, in spite of that range. Some songs just come easily to me. Others, I have to work at. It took me probably a little over a month to figure out how I could sing "Sweet Child o Mine." It usually solves itself when I quit trying to sound like the original singer and when I learn to ease up into more head voice. It's a nasty habit, since I have somewhat of a high singing voice and it's likely that I approach some songs with too much chest voice.