My take on "The Song Remains the Same"

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys, its Eric (for those of you feeling goofy about calling me Wabba).

I've been away for a while working full time in college but I'm back now. I'm going out on a limb and posting a cover of Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains the Same". This time I worked on singing way lighter and brighter than usual in full voice so I don't push for the higher notes later as the song progresses.

This is the just me and a 15$ desktop mic you can probably find at wal-mart and the recording is raw with absolutely no mixing so you can probably hear all my mistakes easier lol. My internet connection kind of blows so there is a bit of lag with the track I found online so I apologize O_o feel free to skip that awkward moment where it buffers in the middle of the verse. I really wish I could edit that part out >.<.

Once again I really appreciate any kind of feedback so let me what you all think :)

Peace out you guys and have a happy New Year.

IMO it sounds like your chest voice is strong, and your head voice is pretty strong, but the mid section where register blending should be happeneing is weak - which makes it sound like you are shouting in order to sing the notes. So, IMO, you should be working on register blending.

www.drop-head.com

For recording, I found this little method easy and creates great recordings. Find a karaoke video on youtube with lyrics and all, use a online sound snatcher, sort of speak, and drop the sound file into audacity. Play the video and record at the same time, with a headset on so the mic doesn't pick up the music. Audacity is a free powerful audio editing tool, which is easy to use and I recommend.

As for the song, and I am no professional myself, but I agree with Keith. Good deep voice, but those high notes are off. Sounds like you are really straining to get up there. I honestly think you could sound great singing the original Guess Who version of American Woman.

Keep on practicing!

Keep Calm, ROCK ON, and GUNS UP!

Thank you all for taking time out of your day to comment!

I totally agree with you Keith I was holding back a bit too much with the mid section. That part was a real challenge as the area around B4- D5 is that point where I am still developing later bridging from the chest voice and head for songs like this that hover around that range. I had to stand back from the mic sometimes as it has terrible low and high-end frequency pickup so that probably didn't help the end result. Thanks for your input on recording tips iron Zeppelin as well!

What quality condenser mics do you guys recommend for someone starting out in recording?

Bad luck having that file skip. Toward the end, it sounded like you were not sure of how to place the voice. Anyway, pick a mode and work with that. You'vw got some great high notes and I love the depth on the lower parts, too.

And IronZeppelin has some good advice on recording strategies, too.

And this is a tough song for most singers. So much of it is carried over the transition to the 5th octave.