Can't Help Falling In Love With You (Bass)

Rate this topic

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1rVj0V9sYs9

I believe the song goes as low as A1 and G1 but I'm not 100%. I think it's definitely in the first octave for a few of the notes. Lowest I've really attempted to sing; a bit is probably off key due to me not practicing it sufficiently.

I've been singing for about one year, and I really just recently got into singing low songs.

Feedback would be great, as bass voices are somewhat underrepresented and I don't have much to compare myself to. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if you can really call that Bass. It is too airy and not resonant enough. It is kind of cool that someone is working on the lower end for a change but for now go ahead and play this a little higher while you are working on making your lower end stronger.

Oh of course, I actually almost exclusively work on songs that are a bit higher. I've only recently started messing around the lower end of my voice after hearing I can hit the second octave with relative ease.

I modeled this cover after Leonard Cohen's "Come Healing", which is just a bit higher than this one (hitting C2 as the lowest point), and you'll notice that it's a little airy as well - although it's also damn strong. I do agree with you that the cover I posted wasn't resonant enough; I think I'll be able to fix that with continuing to practice the low end as I've neglected it for a year now and about a week ago, this song was much tougher on me than it is now, even with only a small bit of practice.

I've been pretty confused on what my voice type is for a bit, and I've come to learn that it's classified as a bass (The highest note I can hit is probably only a G4, which is in "Colder Weather" by Zac Brown, and maybe a G#4 if I really strain), with my low end "strong" note I can hit being a C2.

EDIT: I completely forgot, thank you for the feedback!

Like others have said before, Bass, Baritone or tenor depends more on the resonance strength than notes you can sing. There is a certain quality to the voice that is the determining factor.

Even tenors struggle with G4 until they learn how or strengthen their voice to navigate the passaggio.

I can also Hit a C2 but I start getting airy and week at G2.

What Key are you singing in for "Can't Help Falling ing Love"? If you know how, transpose it higher one full step.

If the lowest note now is really G1 you should still be in the Bass range one full step higher.

"I can also hit a C2 but I start getting airy and weak at G2"

Did you mean G1? G2 is higher than C2 :P

Thing is, when I first started singing, I was struggling heavily with even getting out of the third octave, I had a vocal coach for a few months and she helped tremendously (with both getting my range almost a full octave higher, and with having the confidence to actually belt and sing in the mixed voice). I've tried hitting the A4 in Iris for months (obviously without huge practice) and it's been a huge strain. Even the G4 that I can hit cleanly now took weeks of constant practicing with my vocal coach before I could hit it. I seriously doubt my range will be getting much higher than an A4 at best.

I'm not 100% what key it is but, yes, I'll try it with the capo up two frets.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0PAvjVqcqjr

There you are, the song a full step higher. I know I'm off key and slide to a lot of notes and that's partly because I haven't really practiced it in this key. If you can give me feedback on that one, it'd be appreciated. Thanks. :)

It sounds like you are really strugling to sing that low. It is airy and unsupported. I do not believe in the fach labeling system, but I would say from what I have heard that you are not a bass at all.Your voice lacks the strength and depth of a bass. Very simply, your fach is the place in your voice that you can sing the easiest; and this didnt sound easy. You didnt even hit the lowest note, you were off by at least 2 half steps. Try singing this song an octave higher. I bet it is will be easier for you.

I absolutely was struggling to sing that low. This song, and the key I was singing it in, is one of the lower popular bass songs that I've heard/attempted. When Leonard Cohen, who's one of the great bass "pop" singers, sang it live, he sang it three half steps higher than what I originally posted (1 half step higher than my second post). There's also an interview of him trying to hit the song in this key and, although he does end up hitting the lowest note, it's a struggle for him.

Have you listened to the second one I posted? I'm hoping you critique is of the first one, since I felt the second was supported well.

I have sung it an octave higher and there's 0 challenge to it. Even that wouldn't really take my voice out of the bass range since the song would be almost exclusively sung in the mid third octave and low fourth octave. I like to try to do things which challenge me. When it comes to singing in my comfort zone, I'd say it's from F2-G#3/C4, where I'm completely comfortable and everything comes easy.

Thank you for the feedback, Keith. It's appreciated.

I agree with MDEW and Keith.

Fach is about the resonance and weight, I think, more than it is a particular range of notes though, classically, fachs have basic descriptions defined by your lowest dynamic noise and adding 3 to 3.5 octaves though, in classical, you are only expected to sing 2 octaves for the role you are performing. In pop music, it's not the same sound ideal.

For example, I am not a baritone but a high tenor. Yet, I sing what are low notes, for me, in the second octave. they are not very loud, so, I make up for it with arrangment, recording trickery (not pitch correction or shift involved, by the way.)

I learn the hard way. Worry about a fach is useless outside of opera and training for a specific role. It will trip you up more than it will help.

And how do I do low notes? By not worrying about how I think they are supposed to be made.Just make the pitch and make the tone as usable as it can be. Which does not guarantee me success. For the listener may still expect a more "baritonic" sound than I can give. But who cares? I am just singing to my audience. All one or two of them. :lol: