Journey - "Who's Crying Now"

• TMV World Legacy Member

Thanks Rock. Yes, that is me in that pic and yes I am a big guy @ 6'6", 400 lbs (but losing! I'm down 25 lbs since Jan 1st). I've been told that I'm everything from a tenor to a high alto. I don't really know what I am.

And thanks Cat. I think I mixed the backing track too high and the mic i had at the time wasn't very compatible with my iPad. It was hard to get much gain on it. Also, I was moving away from the mic when the power notes came up because I was afraid of drowning everything out. I've learned not to do that since then, at least when recording.

Woah, you'd feel as if I were a midget. I'm 5'5" 130 :rolleyes: Congrats on the loss; don't go overboard however, at 6'6" and your chest size, I'd imagine perhaps 300-350 as good for you? I'm not a Dr. however.

You're definitely some form a tenor.

Sometimes, people go by what notes you're hitting. This is, by my reading, largely incorrect. It depends on where your "tessitura" lies, or where you can really sing the longest without fatigue while keeping your beauty and ease of voice.

If you tried to sing an alto's material, say "Another Sad Love Song" by Toni Braxton, you'd probably find the end of it way to hard because she spends half the song belting a note or 2 higher than the highest there--over and over.

People can have a lot of range, too, which can throw some off. I'm a bass-baritone type, and I can hit some of the notes you're doing here, but if I attempted the whole song that high, I'd fatigue because it's in a tenors "tessitura" ;)

Amazing voice and good luck w/ the weight loss!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Well, I'm 6' 6", average about 225 to 230. During the summer, I may drop down to 220. I think it's the stress. :lol:

Also, earlier, I think the acronym IDGI = I Don't Get It.

Though, I could be wrong.

There's nothing with being critical of yourself. Semantics is a slippery slope. In a number of other specialties, "critical" means important, not derogatory. Critical mass, critical condition, a critical part, a critical thing to remember. And I think most guys here are meaning to be important, not derogatory. And I think it's okay to be important with yourself, as long as your not being derogatory with yourself.

I can listen back on some of my stuff and hear where I was pitchy. And I keep it as a lesson to myself to pay better attention, next time. Not derogatory or a celebration of my mistakes, just an important thing to consider. I have a take of "Holy Diver" and I did most of the song in a way that I liked, except that I was flat going into the first chorus.

A case of one "aw, crap!" ruined a bunch of "attaboy's."