FINALLY, some hope that Steve Perry may reunite with Journey!!

Rate this topic

Validar

Yeah, but Billy, factor in that he probably heard all the time that he "sounded like a girl" or something like that. If you hear it enough times, perhaps you want to see if you can make your voice a bit more manly. Just thinking out loud.

Maybe.... but with that bank account, and that many album sales, and that many fans.... who gives a flying flip???

I DO remember that magazines like Hit Parader and Creem (there's a flashback for ya!) would constantly say he sounded like a duck. Ridiculous.

Brings up another off topic thing- if you were a singer, would you read your own press? I don't think I could handle it. Facebook posts after a show are tough enough! :)

The most fascinating stuff you'll ever read on Journey, right here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20111128015452/http://members.cox.net/mrcarty/

This is really a fantastic read. The story from the ultimate insider of Journey - their founder and manager Herbie Herbert. You really get a sense of the band members character make-up.

Billy, do you honestly think that Steve Perry, or any singer or any musician didn't care one bit what people were saying about him? In his case, "you sound like a girl or a duck"? There are countless occasions of things like that really affecting singers and musicians.

Billy, do you honestly think that Steve Perry, or any singer or any musician didn't care one bit what people were saying about him? In his case, "you sound like a girl or a duck"? There are countless occasions of things like that really affecting singers and musicians.

After reading that article you can see where Steve Perry has a dark side to him - even before he joined the band. Who knows what fueled that dark side? Maybe he internalized those criticisms and it came out in other ways. I think it is plausible that he wanted to develop a more aggressive sound. If he thought that it could be done safely, which now we all know that it can, why not give it a try.

Who said I didn't think he cared? BUT- would you willingly abuse your voice if you thought that it could bench you? I certainly wouldn't. Perry was totally smart about his voice. He wasn't just this guy that fell out of bed and had this voice and didn't know what to do with it or how to care for it. He was a guy that KNEW about his voice and how to take care of it. However, the demand on Journey was huge at that time. AND when yer in your 20s, your voice can handle more than it can as you get older. I'm sure he didn't want to let down the other Journey guys, didn't want to miss out on the money, etc. So he did more shows in a row than he should've. I believe, as I said, that THAT was what roughed him up. Jonpal- if you started to rough up your voice (like Perry) then realized "Holy crap, this 'technique' is causing me to lose range and is making singing harder on me" wouldn't you say "The hell with using a rough voice. I want the upper notes and a my voice to last!" and abandon that technique? I certainly would. Also- if your voice is selling a bazillion records and is able to hit notes only a dog can hear... WHY would you willingly f' that up??

I think that he took on too much, it roughed up his voice and then he was stuck with it and had to kind of justify it to his audience. THIS IS ALL MY PERSONAL OPINION which really means nothing. :)

As far as critics- man, who cares? Critics are usually frustrated musicians. If you're selling MILLIONS of albums and rolling in dough, are you going to listen to the one douche bag that says you sound like a duck? I certainly wouldn't.

No need to argue the point here. Like I said, this is just my opinion.

Here's the event where Steve made those comments that Validar is referring to. It's him at the beginning of this year singing with his friend, drummer Steve Ferrone, at Guitar Center's Drum-Off Finals in Los Angeles.

Steve still has it! He is singing with a little rasp in his voice still, but his high notes are pretty damn good for 65.

Magic starts at around 6:20 :)

• 3 weeks later...