Please review&critique my singing : Judas Priest - MetalMeltdown

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi everyone,

As with my previous post, this was recorded 4 months ago so it's in neutral mode (CVT terminlogy).

Please point out my weakness and help me improve. Especially "ees" give me a hard time and I think it shows.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/Judas%20Priest%20-%20Metal%20Meltdown.mp3

(There's an updated version further down, in post #10)

Best,

akarawd

PS. Most of the original vocals have been removed along with most of the center channel info.

PS2. If on mac/safari, you'll need safari 5 to view this link.

That bad huh ? I feel this type of singing does not suit the style of music but any critique or criticism would be helpful guys.

This was sung with no twang (wasn't familiar with it at the time, let alone distortion) and it's just the natural voice with lots of breath support stemming from the lower back muscles.

Actually, this now makes twice that I have listened to this and I'm glad I listened again, as I caught things I missed before. I like your slide from baritone to tenor with "no one survives..." And again, later, with 'metal meltdown' repeated as you ascend the "steps" of range.

I think it was a good performance. Don't be worried if no one comments. I dare you to go back through this page or the last and count how many submissions I put up and how many comments I got back, good or bad. Most of my threads received not one comment. Nothing. Not "good job", nor, "you suck, stick with electrical work." So, also, you are new, as am I. In old sailing terms, we are still "below the salt."

Lol akaward, no its not that bad. it just takes time for forum members to post comments, every one is busy their stuff. not a problem, i am sure everyone will start chipping in very soon.

IMO, and I don't understand CVT terminology, but I think the neutral mode doesn't really work when it comes to getting Halford's piercing tone. I think you should try to sing it with more Twang, with more 'bite' resonance. You've got the range, which is a big achievement itself, but just try to add some more 'bite' to your tone. the dopey sound on the high parts don't really fit. overall the quality of your voice is top notch, this is a tough song, you've done quite a good job. also, when you are coming down to your chest resonance in the lower parts 'here comes the metal meltdown' part, you need to improve your coordination so that the resonance shift doesn't sound abrupt or awkward.

Can you try singing the high parts (ex - something's coming etc) with a forced smiley face? try it and you should notice a difference in your tone. Also, youtube Halford's live clips for this song to see how he shapes his mouth when he is singing. I have used this method of seeing the singer and copying his facial expressions, and I've found it helps.

by the way, these are just my opinions. I am no teacher/expert. Just a hungry student.

good job man!

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

Actually, this now makes twice that I have listened to this and I'm glad I listened again, as I caught things I missed before. I like your slide from baritone to tenor with "no one survives..." And again, later, with 'metal meltdown' repeated as you ascend the "steps" of range.

I think it was a good performance. Don't be worried if no one comments. I dare you to go back through this page or the last and count how many submissions I put up and how many comments I got back, good or bad. Most of my threads received not one comment. Nothing. Not "good job", nor, "you suck, stick with electrical work." So, also, you are new, as am I. In old sailing terms, we are still "below the salt."

Glad you liked those parts ! and yes we're below the salt lol

Lol akaward, no its not that bad. it just takes time for forum members to post comments, every one is busy their stuff. not a problem, i am sure everyone will start chipping in very soon.

IMO, and I don't understand CVT terminology, but I think the neutral mode doesn't really work when it comes to getting Halford's piercing tone. I think you should try to sing it with more Twang, with more 'bite' resonance. You've got the range, which is a big achievement itself, but just try to add some more 'bite' to your tone. the dopey sound on the high parts don't really fit. overall the quality of your voice is top notch, this is a tough song, you've done quite a good job. also, when you are coming down to your chest resonance in the lower parts 'here comes the metal meltdown' part, you need to improve your coordination so that the resonance shift doesn't sound abrupt or awkward.

Can you try singing the high parts (ex - something's coming etc) with a forced smiley face? try it and you should notice a difference in your tone. Also, youtube Halford's live clips for this song to see how he shapes his mouth when he is singing. I have used this method of seeing the singer and copying his facial expressions, and I've found it helps.

by the way, these are just my opinions. I am no teacher/expert. Just a hungry student.

good job man!

Thanks a bunch for your kind words kalapoka, I am getting acquainted with these terms myself so we'll see what the results are ! My Diamonds & Rust version has both twang and distortion albeit in a preliminary stage.

and yes we're below the salt lol

No one's below anything or anyone here in the forum, guys. Respect everyone's choice to critique or not to critique. Its totally voluntary.

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

No one's below anything or anyone here in the forum, guys. Respect everyone's choice to critique or not to critique. Its totally voluntary.

Yeah man, we're just kidding.

Really, Fahim, I was not meaning to offend. I think you misunderstood me. It just means being new. Aboard ship, a new passenger or crew member might be given quarters in the lower reaches of the hull, usually below the level of the draw of the boat, often marked by a line of deposited salt, from sailing in saltwater. Hence, "below the salt." To equate that, some of us come here lacking in skills or finesse. As we improve to your skill level, we get above the salt line of the ship, so to speak. It's a metaphor.

And true, not everyone feels the need to comment on everything and that is not a reflection on the quality of the performance or recording. Another colloqiualism from where I live, "sometimes no news is good news."

There are some here who always get a comment when they post. And some who don't.

Que sera, sera (what will be, will be).

Truly, I am sorry if I offended anyone with my sense of humor. Though this is not my thread, I must admit that I have natural ability to tick people off, at times. I don't purposefully set out to do it. It's just a natural talent.

I was born a smart aleck. Made worse by sharing a similar sense of humor with my step-grandfather. Then understudy under the grand master, Lee, my friend. I mean well, it just doesn't always come across that way.

Really, Fahim, I was not meaning to offend. I think you misunderstood me. It just means being new. Aboard ship, a new passenger or crew member might be given quarters in the lower reaches of the hull, usually below the level of the draw of the boat, often marked by a line of deposited salt, from sailing in saltwater. Hence, "below the salt." To equate that, some of us come here lacking in skills or finesse. As we improve to your skill level, we get above the salt line of the ship, so to speak. It's a metaphor.

And true, not everyone feels the need to comment on everything and that is not a reflection on the quality of the performance or recording. Another colloqiualism from where I live, "sometimes no news is good news."

There are some here who always get a comment when they post. And some who don't.

Que sera, sera (what will be, will be).

Truly, I am sorry if I offended anyone with my sense of humor. Though this is not my thread, I must admit that I have natural ability to tick people off, at times. I don't purposefully set out to do it. It's just a natural talent.

I was born a smart aleck. Made worse by sharing a similar sense of humor with my step-grandfather. Then understudy under the grand master, Lee, my friend. I mean well, it just doesn't always come across that way.

Lol no Ron, no offense taken. You know me, I don't take offense too seriously :D. I just wanted you and everyone to know that there is no favoritism about new or old when it comes to review and critique. sometimes people are just too busy for it. Even I can't afford to post comments on everything, i'm sure everyone else is the same. But I can definitely feel the need to get some comments too...had the same feelings when I posted my stuff in the beginning :)

Cheers!

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

Hey everybody, 2nd version of MetalMeltdown

Here's the same song, this time with twang as suggested (+ some distortion), I'm a beginner in both and still experimenting.

Let me know if you think it sounds improved & the general weaknesses.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/Judas%20Priest%20-%20Metal%20Meltdown2.mp3

Thanks in advance,

akarawd

Awesome stuff man, just wished you had a clean karoake track.

And regarding neutral and judas priest, it's a MUST!

Rob Halford is singing with Metal-like-neutral very often. It's just neutral with alot of twang.

Much better! More Metal! Awesome! :D

(Hope you didn't hurt yourself though? I think I would've if I tried lol)

Ashique M. Fahim
www.myspace.com/amfahim

That was amazing. Nice grit. Wide range, going from clean to twang and down to screamo. Well done.

Thanks a lot ronws, glad you liked it.

Awesome stuff man, just wished you had a clean karoake track.

And regarding neutral and judas priest, it's a MUST!

Rob Halford is singing with Metal-like-neutral very often. It's just neutral with alot of twang.

Thanks Snorth. This version is taken from the Meltdown live CD, whit Tim Owens on vocals who is a bit more humane in terms of voice that the metal god.

At some point I'm thinking of starting a thread about what techniques it is they use, it should be interesting.

Much better! More Metal! Awesome!

(Hope you didn't hurt yourself though? I think I would've if I tried lol)

Thanks kalapoka, glad you liked it. I did a 2nd version after your instigation for more twang, so it means a lot to hear that from you.

The high rasp doesn't hurt one bit, it's all technique starting from the sound khhhh (k as in Cow and h as in How).

The rasp just over chest voice and the one in chest voice are tricky though, still trying to figure out those, I somehow cannot apply the sound mentioned above so I'm looking for a way to do it healthily.

Another observation I made is it is easier to sing in tune when twanging, I sort of hear my mistakes better.

Wow great, I can really relate to your technique :D Sounds really good loved your second try on metalmeltdown. You even added some rattle(the gurgly sound) to some of the screams wich is very cool!

One tip wich i found very usefull when singing in the highrange the way you do is to centre the vowels and choosing the right vowel for the type of sound you want. The reason why you wanna do this is quite simple

1. It's a quick fix

2. It gives you alot more power, or the ability to choose for more power and you will manage the "switch" more seamless

3. You can easily alternat soundcolor if you want it more chesty you choose a vowel that makes it so :P

I personaly love using the vowel A, Ah , Eh , Oh for the highrange.

Lowerdown in your range youre very good with the vowels and your spoton but when you get up very high you kindo splat it out.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23261278/centering_vowels.wav

Im kindo bad with words, but this track might give some insight to what i mean :P because at somespots in the song you really nail the vowels and it sounds fantastic and sometimes you kindo miss them.

Great voice

Wow great, I can really relate to your technique Sounds really good loved your second try on metalmeltdown. You even added some rattle(the gurgly sound) to some of the screams wich is very cool!

One tip wich i found very usefull when singing in the highrange the way you do is to centre the vowels and choosing the right vowel for the type of sound you want. The reason why you wanna do this is quite simple

1. It's a quick fix

2. It gives you alot more power, or the ability to choose for more power and you will manage the "switch" more seamless

3. You can easily alternat soundcolor if you want it more chesty you choose a vowel that makes it so

I personaly love using the vowel A, Ah , Eh , Oh for the highrange.

Lowerdown in your range youre very good with the vowels and your spoton but when you get up very high you kindo splat it out.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/232612 … vowels.wav

Im kindo bad with words, but this track might give some insight to what i mean because at somespots in the song you really nail the vowels and it sounds fantastic and sometimes you kindo miss them.

Great voice

Thanks a lot Jens, both for the clip and your critique, I am still vaguely experimenting with distortion and twang - I've been singing only clean/in neutral until now.

I listened to your clip but I am not really sure I understand if what you mean has to do with pronouncing the vowels or singing them in full voice (or same mode) + distortion higher up.

I'd be grateful if you could clarify that as I'm very interested in learning.

If we take "Out of control" as an example you really wanna focus on landing on the vowels and pressing in on them. You could see it as pronouncing them clearer, you do this most of the time right, but sometimes you kindo land inbetween some vowels thus making your voice alittle weaker. It's not a mode question at all, more like just a minor tweak to make you sound at your top on all the given pitches in the song :P

AAAAAAAut OHHHHHHHf cOOHHHHntrOOOOOHHHL

For example the second out of control in the song, you are very good with landing on the vowels.

In that clip i posted im singing in the same setup or mode as you are doing, neutral with twang + distortion.

Just keep it in the back of your head to focus abit more on the vowels and you will be alright ;)

Thanks, I get it. In the 1st "out of c" I'm sort of in and out of the center of "vowels" or mode (cvt terminlogy), right ?

You're absolutely right, I need lots of practice on that end ; hopefully I will stabilize my distortion and twang while staying in the center of the vowels in a few months.

Thanks again.

Great singing in a genre i also love to sing in. You have a very powerful voice and with some slight adjustments which Jens, who is an amazing contributor on this forum and others if you love to sing, especially metal, helps you with here, you will sound perfect in this area. Keep ut the good work.

Great singing in a genre i also love to sing in. You have a very powerful voice and with some slight adjustments which Jens, who is an amazing contributor on this forum and others if you love to sing, especially metal, helps you with here, you will sound perfect in this area. Keep ut the good work.

Glad you liked it, the 2nd version is a new approach so it'll take a few months to stabilize. Thanks again Olem.

Due, I loved the second version!!! Great one you had going in most of it. I see some very good potential in your voice and with some training you could be a metal god of your own! Keep screaming bro!!!

"GIDDYUP!"

Due, I loved the second version!!! Great one you had going in most of it. I see some very good potential in your voice and with some training you could be a metal god of your own! Keep screaming bro!!!

Your comment's very encouraging Snax, I'm working on it - hard, thanks man.

I'm surprised you could understand what I was trying to say! I seemed to have left out a few letters here and there when I typed my reply. lol

I was trying to say that you had a great TONE going in most of it. You will be blowing people away in the near future with that voice of yours!

"GIDDYUP!"

Second version is MUCH better! Better pitch, delivery and much more interesting to listen to. :) Good job!

Could I hear the original vocal in the background? If so, try to find the karaoke backing track and you be the lead singer. ;)