16 year old male, not sure if baritone/tenor/countertenor?

Rate this topic

Anonymouse

I can tell you... It's like penis size but for singing. Everyone wants to be something special so that they can identify with cool singers.

Im a tenor like Pavarotti

Ive got a baritonal voice like frank sinatra

ect ect

And then when they tell you(me) your a stinking baritone you get mad cause you wanna soar up there with highnotes. lol

Geran,

I see. Well, I'm going to put myself out on a limp here!

Fach is a reason for insecurity,....:/

I never needed a reason for that. :| I'm a baratenor_contralto...... Maybe a little schitzo, better yet I suffer from multiple Fach disorder.

Jens,

Agreed! It's about the knowledge of limitation in singers!

I can't sing that high....well I'm a baritone! Don't you think??

Of course you are a baritone... thank you....pease in my mind ;)

But admit it! When geran said you hade the same voicetype as freddy mercury this is what crossed your mind.

"Who am I fooling here? ofcourse he's right! Howcome I didnt see it for all this time!?"

;)

What really happens in Martins mind

"how did he do that is he psychic?!"

Well yes Martins mind I am... I am.

My resume

Jens Johansson

MindType: Psychic

Vocalfach: Daniel Heiman

A blondhaired metalsinger who apparently can read minds cook pasta and kill time late at night doing bad jokes.

Yeah, well, I cooked steaks and chopped brocolli last night. That makes me a singing redneck who can cook. I like what you said, Martin, about fach and insecurity. You are likely to be right. Is it insecurity on the part of the student, the teacher, or both?

Ron,

I believe it's mostly a student thing. I remember I did the same thing. I had a hard time singing high so I made sure that I was labeled baritone. That gave me a sort of "excuse" for not singing the high stuff.

I do believe some teachers are a bit insecure as well, but that's mostly due to lack of knowledge.

geran didnt you just say it is not about range? ;)

Look, thing is.

Fachs are useful on classical singing, and even outside classical as a personal reference, knowing your own voice, not to compare wih others.

However fachs can also be a, as Martin pointed, the perfect reasonning for mediocrity ( actually in my opinion, sub-quality). You see singing is a form of art, so lets say that I teach guitar, and I want to start teaching singing, with no preparation to do so other than being able to pick my guitar and sing a few tunes from the beatles.

I grab this nice book on classical technique, read there the "ranges" of the fachs, and start trainning this legion of squirell sounding baritones and basses because after a couple of lessons I can fit their voices within a range. Worse thing is that this makes sense to the student too, after all, it fits the descrip[tion and they can find it everywhere.

Even when done right, the tessitura can easily become a psychological barrier rather than useful information. If you transform the "tenor high C" or "bartione high A" in something mystical, it will never be a part of your tessitura, instead will be this note that you have to worry about since its such a big deal.

most males are baritones? -maybe you meant most males think they are, or are wrongly classified as baritones by ignorant teachers that use their untrained range to classify them?-

Most human voices like to sit in the middle in order to get the highs and lows. So baritone is the most common male voice and mezzo-soprano is the most common female voice. This is a fact, it is not up for debate.

if you are a baritone by going lower than C3, bruno mars (clearly high tenor) would be a baritone right? (since range is all that matters)

I have never said range is all that matters. If you read anything past the first sentence, you would see that I said a voice is better classified if we take into account timbre and the speaking voice. As for the C3, there are some tenors that have a very limited range and cannot sing below that. I should not have made such a generalization, but without hearing a clip I can safely say from what I read he is PROBABLY a baritone. That can change as he gets older, but he was looking for an answer.

you cant really classify with range, it is just a guideline, and a very vague one, but with a lot of training and observing the tessitura, what the 'colour' possibilities of the voice are, as jens said, 'the size of the voice' (not the range) there you can classify it

I love how you contradict yourself with this statement compared to above where you say, "[Most males are] wrongly classified as baritones by ignorant teachers that use their untrained range to classify them." So if one had training and the teacher classified them by their new found range and they said tenor, that would be okay then because he was hearing what he wanted?

ThePowerOfOne wrote:

AboveTenor wrote:

Truth be told, both tenors and countertenors are actually artificial voices. I had an ENT doctor who trained as a tenor tell me that secret.

Please elaborate...

so the secret is that bruno mars in reality has the same voice that michael bolton has, it's just that bruno mars trained his voice to sound tenor and michael bolton trained his voice to sound baritone!! i almost cant believe it!!! :o:o:o:o:o

It means that very few are born out of the womb singing a Tenor High C in full voice. Most of the classical tenors studied at a conservatory for 8 years. Now for the rare tenor who cannot sing below C3, he will probably have an easier time in his passaggio as his voice sits closer to it.

As for countertenors, most were castrati back in the days of the church. You are telling me that is natural? To sing countertenor today, one has to develop a strong head voice that matches a feminine tone. Unless you are Michael Maniaci that takes training. This is what makes it artificial.

a low tenor, like freddie mercury

Mostly people agree that Freddie was a baritone.

Talk in head voice for a year straight. While exercising on closed vowels.

Although your friends will laugh at you. I guarantee you will be a countertenor or some form of weird hybrid after that year.

The voice is more flexible than you think people!!! There are probably some basses out there with whistle register. It is much better to work with what you got and then grow it :) But that is just my opinion. I'm not a professional... yet.