My most honest, my most vulnurable.

Rate this topic

I think I posted some half-done version/mix of this or so earlier, not entirely sure, but either way, I finally got around to put it on YouTube with the lyrics... The instrumental and mix was done by Vinni, a friend from the other side of the globe.

Please take a listen if you have a few spare minutes, would mean a lot.

This song is about my 2013, the hardest year in my entire life thus far, where the walls all came down at the same time and I was not far from calling it a day.

It's always a big decision, you know, wether to put one's private self up for public view, but I figured, meh, I have a lot of regrets, but I will not be ashamed of who I once was, who I am today and who I will be tomorrow.

Best regards...

Im feelin it man , harmonising with all the concepts of addiction and loss , get it out of you via voice and music is the only way - im not that good a singer or id literally harmonise with you ! lol KEEP THE FAITH BRAH , STRENGTH AND HONOUR

When things were at it's worst, I tried desperately to hold on to my singing but even that abandoned me.. Was a really scary period... But I got through it and I am smarter and hopefully a bit wiser now :>

Singing is never about how good you are, that's just the ego, but it's, for me, a way to feel something genuine and some sort of brief clarity that I can't feel in other ways. Man that sounded pretentious! xD

So long as you love what you do, that's all the reason you need right? :D

Exactly. And it's okay to find that you actually a good singer once you find the right path for you, rather than the one that everyone else has followed. I have been finding that for myself. And discovered it is so for a famous singer who has been all over the world and met presidents and other dignitaries. All from switching from the style he "thought" he was supposed to do to the one that really expressed what he was trying to say.

And when I sing, I am not doing so for technical achievement, I am doing so because I like the song. For example, I recently covered a country song and got one comment. But, then, again, I knew the audience was limited, so I changed my perception and expectation accordingly.

And so, even if you don't receive wide-ranging applause, connecting with "your" audience is what matters. And it is okay to sing clean and I could hear a seemless flexibility in your voice, where you can change tonal feel, still in the clean sound. Now, that's dynamics.

Exactly. And it's okay to find that you actually a good singer once you find the right path for you, rather than the one that everyone else has followed. I have been finding that for myself. And discovered it is so for a famous singer who has been all over the world and met presidents and other dignitaries. All from switching from the style he "thought" he was supposed to do to the one that really expressed what he was trying to say.

And when I sing, I am not doing so for technical achievement, I am doing so because I like the song. For example, I recently covered a country song and got one comment. But, then, again, I knew the audience was limited, so I changed my perception and expectation accordingly.

And so, even if you don't receive wide-ranging applause, connecting with "your" audience is what matters. And it is okay to sing clean and I could hear a seemless flexibility in your voice, where you can change tonal feel, still in the clean sound. Now, that's dynamics.

Aye.. That's why I feel a bit bad when people only cover songs and try to imitate the original singer, not adding anything of their own be it their own voice or harmonies/alterations. If that's what people love, then that's what they should do, but if one wants to improve and grow with the singing then those shackles must come off. My humble opinion of course.

Country nowadays is even more obscure than Black Metal it seems. Shame, because country can be really good.

Most songs I do, I think "I hope people will like this, I know I do.", nothing wrong with that because I still do my thing, but this particular song I did set the ego aside and tried to get something more real into the song, so while I do love people's feedback, the ego was not part of creating the song.

Dynamics = what I value the most. As I've said, I don't want to have just one voice, I want a hundred xD

• Administrator

Aawww! Damnit, missed a spotlight chance xD What's a redux? :o

Just do it over... :D Yourself singing the song live rather than a still shot. Or be imaginative :cool: You've been spotlighted before, Patrik --- you know the "routine" :lol: I'll get you back on the spotlight list :cool:

"To qualify for a “Spotlight Video” the video MUST be live. Either onstage, in the studio, videos with backing tracks, or videos that contain "instructional material" (i.e. instructional videos by our coaches,Subject Matter Experts {SME’s}, etc.)."

Aye.. That's why I feel a bit bad when people only cover songs and try to imitate the original singer, not adding anything of their own be it their own voice or harmonies/alterations....if one wants to improve and grow with the singing then those shackles must come off.

Wrong. Humans learn through imitation. New skills are acquired through that method. Russell Allen mentioned on video how he tried to imitate when he was learning.Any skill learned that way can be applied to anything else.

Country nowadays is even more obscure than Black Metal it seems. Shame, because country can be really good.

Also wrong. Country is a huge music industry. I suspect, however, that most people who listen to country aren't worried about singing in the same way people who listen to other styles, more centered on the voice, are.

"To qualify for a “Spotlight Video” the video MUST be live. Either onstage, in the studio, videos with backing tracks, or videos that contain "instructional material" (i.e. instructional videos by our coaches,Subject Matter Experts {SME’s}, etc.)."

I'll get to recording one in the days coming :D Thanks Adolph :>

You are right on both counts :> When it comes to imitating, I hear what you're saying, but I meant the "mental" projection of who you are as a singer; if all you want is to sound like your idol and do covers, go for it. But imitating as a part of exploring and evolving your own voice, absolutely. Am I making sense? :P

Country is very regional, but I know how big it is in places (actually, I don't, all I can think of when I hear the word "country" is 'Nashville' xD). Here in Sweden it's not a widely practiced genre, but I reckon Sweden's not the frame of reference for exactly everything :P I guess the country-scene doesn't kick in your door and announces itself as indiepop, dubstep and all the crazy stuff kids like these days, do :P

Am I making sense?

Not exactly. There is a bit misconception of the internet when it comes to imitations. Through experience I have learned to focus not on embellishing covers with things not found in the original, but to focus entirely, mentally, and physically on imitating that specific sound. It is produced a certain way, and the only reason to do a cover (unless performing it) is to learn how it is done.

On the radio in the U.S. country music has a very large audience, and is one of the most popular genres.

Not exactly. There is a bit misconception of the internet when it comes to imitations. Through experience I have learned to focus not on embellishing covers with things not found in the original, but to focus entirely, mentally, and physically on imitating that specific sound. It is produced a certain way, and the only reason to do a cover (unless performing it) is to learn how it is done.

On the radio in the U.S. country music has a very large audience, and is one of the most popular genres.

Alright, I see where you're coming from :3 I view covering more like paying tribute to a song that made a special impact on me. That's why I do embellish the hell out the songs :P Some like it, some don't, but it's important for me to "make the song my own" in a sense. But I do understand your point of view. I guess I spent too many years failing to sing the high chest notes that my idols could hit and I just gave up and became a pretentious douche instead xP Joking aside, I've learned a lot by attempting to imitate the sound a singer have with just one rule - it must never hurt.

Loved this I just wish I could phrase myself aswell kudos!

Awesome song Snejk. Sometimes we do not know what we are capable of doing or who we are inside until confronted by adversity. 2013 was a hell for me and my family also. Nothing major but still the worse in a long time.

Keep strong and keep on singing.

I like the harmonies. Your singing sounds very emotional as it should be in this song I guess. I cannot say anything technical about your singing as I've been a singer only for one year myself. Maybe there is one spot where I would like to hear it in a different way but I liked it a lot overall. You can hit very high notes.

Awesome song Snejk. Sometimes we do not know what we are capable of doing or who we are inside until confronted by adversity. 2013 was a hell for me and my family also. Nothing major but still the worse in a long time.

Keep strong and keep on singing.

Thanks!

You got that spot on, it might not be as evident when you're down in the rabbit hole and hope was a friend who now is impossible to get ahold of.. But when you're back on your feet and clear in mind, you realize that you are stronger than before and that there is a reason that you eventually did surmount the dire.. Sorry to hear about your year :/ Hopefully you are all back on track now :)

I like the harmonies. Your singing sounds very emotional as it should be in this song I guess. I cannot say anything technical about your singing as I've been a singer only for one year myself. Maybe there is one spot where I would like to hear it in a different way but I liked it a lot overall. You can hit very high notes.

Glad you liked them :> I do my best to sing as if I tell story, not just putting tones to the words. I use some frail semi-crackly voice in the first verse which I think is suitable. The part in the song that I gave myself a pat on the shoulder for is the part after "lightning up the skiiiies", I love the falsetto harmonies in it :>

But I am curious, what spot was it that you'd have liked to hear differently, I am curious :D The highest notes are in falsetto, so it's not a big feat at all. My highest falsetto note is pretty much the most common roof note for males (unless you count whistle, which I don't) :P

Wow, interesting side discussion.

Country music is big in the USA but I have found that there are fans all over the world, more than might be represented here with the next newbie to come along and do "Hallelujah" or a Journey song.

Some people may think that country is technically unchallenging. It requires as much attention as any other style, even if many of the singers are singing within a 2 octave range. So, I ended up doing a 2 octave country song. Not because it has a whole 2 octaves but because I really like the song. My wife and I got it stuck in our heads after watching the Garth Brooks show that was shot in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was playing guitar by himself and singing songs. And he did "Friends in Low Places," one of my favorites by him. I watched how he played on a single guitar. So, when I tried it, strumming with a pick, my meter and timing was all off. Changed to finger picking stuff and that cleared it up for me.

The song goes from A2 to A4. A2 is about the lowest note I can make before going into pulse. And it is not very loud. So, I had to sing the rest of the song soft and not too loud so that it would sound balanced.

It's a hilarious story about you meeting your ex at some fancy party and the awkwardness that ensues. And like Willie Nelson, take and put in on a jazz chord progression with a diminished stuck in there.

I think you, Patrick, have the ability to be the next David Bowie, writing whatever you wish and re-inventing yourself with each new album that you will eventually write.

I've heard enough country to know that it's just as technically challenging as anything :P Specifically I heard a Garth Brooks song that really stretches the lows AND highs...

Aye, I will continue to write original stuff and do it my way since I am glad that I have found "my" way... The second band audition for a metal band of really skilled musicians on thursday, and it would be so awesome to be in a band again where I don't have to imitate Dickinson :P

Herman; I hear you, I was actually a bit "hmm" in regards to it myself. But when recording I just try stuff out that I have not planned, like that part which is going from falsetto to full chest without break or register-flip. But that would be the one part I'd redo if I could :P

The guitar sound though, I have no opinion about other than the dynamic shift from the acoustic, that I like :P