Am I just not made for singing? (Critique please)

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I've been singing since I was in 6th grade. I guess back then I had a good voice, as in prepubescent "cute" sounding. But now, I'm turning 15 soon, voice got deeper (still a bit high, though), and is still getting deeper. I record myself singing now, and something about it just sounds bad. Is it the pitch? Breathing? Or am I just not a good singer? If I'm just not meant for singing, I'm willing to accept that.

I'm just wondering if there is any room for improvement, or am I just hopeless? If there is any room for improvement, how?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0aNxQoIBOH7

Sorry for bad quality.

15 is really young to decide the rest of your life. And I don't have the magic 8 ball next to me to decide your fate.

So, it's all on you. Find a teacher, program, something. Singers are made, not born.

No one is "just not made for singing" except the people who chose not to be singers. It's not the voice you start with that matters as much as the drive to develop it. Obviously you want to keep singing, so do that. Take your already good voice (I am surprised you even dislike it, seriously?????) and develop it through practice. There is always room for improvement.

There were some minor pitch issues and your tone is a bit dull but those things will sort themselves out over time and training. I think that's what you were hearing that's bugging you. I don't hear a bad voice, I hear a good voice that hasn't been trained yet. I can hear that in the sound that you have a good natural starting point, and the minor issues with it and very typical of beginners. My voice was like that around your age too.

What you need to work on most I think is creating more of a buzz/ring/ping/shimmer tonality in your voice, to replace the breathiness you have now.

It takes time and usually a combination of bunch of lessons with a great vocal teacher and imitating your favorite singers (especially the ones with this quality in their voice...check out singers with a strong "ee" vowel, those folks have it...study them and imitate) and just plain singing a lot, to achieve that quality, but if you train diligently it will come.

Hey josh! I think you have a very nice sounding voice! My was very similar to yours just over a month ago, no matter how hard I tried my voice sounded dull and not very good when recorded and was very difficult to fit in a mix without tons of reverb when recording.

As Owen stated you are missing the buzz/ring/ping/shimmer in your voice. Great call Owen! For me I found this by singing Bb3 Starting on ee and slowly switching to ou while focusing the sound on my soft palette. This is what I would describe as a jet engine sound that can be louder and much higher than the original Bb3 and the harmonics can be changed by moving the focus in a careful manner.

Imitating voices like Jim Buffer or Sam Cooke has also helped me a great deal. Any of the amazing teacher's on this forum will get you in the right direction in very little time!

Owen had it mostly. Also, all you are doing is in chest voice, you need to stretch your range a bit to develop. I agree you should get a singing teacher, or take Robert Lunte's course.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Thanks a lot, guys.

So basically my pitch is a bit off, and my sound is dull?

I know the pitch can be corrected, but I'm still having trouble grasping the idea of how to make my voice less dull.

Owen talks about some exercises, and they're good. There are lots out there and some will do more for you than others, but it changes person-to-person, a vocal coach would help.

Also, really try to be expressive, sound like you are really into the song, the audience will get it!.

I worked on exercises like singing quiet/loud, angry/sad, soft/shouty. I was dull when I started singing seriously 5 years ago, but in terms of expressive I sang this just under a year ago:

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]