Tension Relief Exercises

Rate this topic

Hey all, what are some good exercises to relieve "bad" vocal tension?

There are lots of types of tension that can be bad imo jaw, tongue, neck, sometimes even shoulders. What are the most effective way to remove these?

- JayMC

Owen,

I kind of disagree with that statement. The question is.... if you can sing what you want to sing without any problems does posture then really matter? If so, what is the right posture?

The one used by Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. Man, that was an easy question. :D

Owen,

I kind of disagree with that statement. The question is.... if you can sing what you want to sing without any problems does posture then really matter? If so, what is the right posture?

Not sure what you are saying here.

The way I see it, the more physically difficult (for your voice) the material you are singing is, the more important posture is.

Owen,

I'm just interested in knowing what the right posture is? What is right and what is wrong when singing difficult material?

Jud the head forward, backwards.....or leave it dangeling? If people are going to spend time everyday to find good posture in regards to their singing...then by all means...show me what good singing posture is!!! :)

Owen,

I'm just interested in knowing what the right posture is? What is right and what is wrong when singing difficult material?

Jud the head forward, backwards.....or leave it dangeling? If people are going to spend time everyday to find good posture in regards to their singing...then by all means...show me what good singing posture is!!! :)

Imo good posture is any posture that doesn't disturb the muscles you use for singing with unneccessary tension. For example, if you stick your head forward you will cause unneccessary tension in your neck muscles and it gets more difficult to apply proper neck anchoring.

Personally, I am just keeping the sternum slightly upward and my ears in line with my shoulders. Also try to have no tension in the shoulder/upper back area. That's usually enough.

There are also some "posture tricks" that can support a correct singing setup, but they are not really neccessary. For example, for some people it is useful to take a step backwards with one foot which sometimes triggers a good pre-tension in the support musculature and a mental focus "down and backwards".

Owen,

Head straight, not tilted up or down too severely, and kind of kept back instead of letting jutting forward...the whole "ears lined up with shoulders" idea and the "imaginary string pulling up the top of your head" stuff...