The Voice and Mind

Rate this topic

For purposes of this exercise raise your right hand. Now lift your left foot. As you can see the body responds to your thought. The body in and of itself can do, be and express nothing apart from the mind. Singing is a process of taking cognitive control of and over both the Respiratory system and vocal system. Although the heart, breathing and certain functions are on automatic even those can be brought to a certain degree of cognitive control and trained. Certain spiritual masters can be analyzed in meditation to slow down their heart beat, respiration. As a singer you are not only technique you are a sum total of all your experience and all your psychological and sociological factors, experience and habits. The body and voice thereby respond and react as well to all psychological prompters and detractors.

I recently responded in another post in regards to smoking- As a general rule if you think it going to effect you it will, if you don't think it will bother you. It most like will not effect your singing much. I have found the Greatest performers, singers,entertainers fall in to two main lumps. The extremely intelligent and the idiot savants lol this is a fact It is indeed very easy to train someone who has no opinion and thereby puts up no resistance. In those rare cases they are like perfect wind up toys, just put them on a stage. They do not know how they do it, they can't make a mistake because they've only been programmed one way and their physiology does not allow the error. These are the one's however best kept away from press and interviews as they dine on their own feet and drool when they speak lol

That being said the student who does two hours of perfect scales and leaves the lesson with the comment I'm not going to be able to sing that at the audition as already told me he or she is going to screw up their audition, because they have set up a mental barrier/default switch to screw up. Remember each and every thought is a prayer which trains your God/Goddess to respond "he will not give you a stone when you ask for bread" but if you cognitively at set times ask for one thing and think the opposite the rest of the time. You are then sending mixed signals both to the body, the brain and Creation. Set your goal and hold to it firmly the means will fall into place. This is why I tell singers to know why you are singing, what you want to sound like before they study. You want to find appropriate technique and a teacher that meets those requirements. i.e. if you want to sound like Madonna going to Julliard would most likely be a waste of your time and efforts. Every way works to a degree and to various degrees, but you must study and or prepare the mind as well as the voice appropriately to your goals.

• 1 month later...

My favorite topic.

Setting the mind before body is, in my opinion, a traditional way of doing this. It's typical recommended pattern is "Thought, attitude, emotion, posture, action...." This will work for some objectives and for some people.

Some famous psychologist in mid 1900s did an experiment that still isn't fully incorporated in western thinking. What he measured was that a person's reaction (in a pressure condition), emotion were usually first, and the thought came afterwards. So, for example, if someone yells fire, people start panicking before thinking. You can also see this in the concept of microexpressions in non-verbal communcations.

So, the question of which comes first-- the thought or the emotion, is questionable.

For this, there's a famous Indian maxim. "You will get what you want." "And when you get there, will it be what you want?" Something like this. This means that the passions drive the intellect.

I agree with focus on a goal, but the path is not linear.

OK, so here's what to do....

It is possible, through disciplined thought-led practice, to achieve a certain sound. This takes a lot of work, and when it doesn't successful, which is common, then it fails.

One wonders then, why it failed? And why so much work?

It's usually due to counteracting muscles. So, the question is what and why are these counteracting muscles doing what they're doing. The answer is not more thought.

HI FOLKS..I AGREE WITH C.O.T.U.....I ONCE READ A GREAT BOOK "PCYCHO-CYBERNETICS" WHICH BASICALLY TAUGHT THAT THE THE MIND CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THAT WHICH IS REAL OR VIVIDLY IMAGINED. WHEN I PREPARE TO LEARN A NEW SONG, I MENALTALLY VISUALIZE MYSELF SINGING THE SONG AND HITTING ALL THE NOTES AND SOUNDING THE WAY I WANT TO SOUND. . I REALLY BELIEVE YOU CAN WILL YOURSELF TO SING BETTER, OR HIGHER TO A DEGREE.

Great post Darrison.

I like the book Power Performance for Singers by Shirlee Emmons. She cites research that the top athletes in most sports have the same physical ability, but the big time winners have one thing in common: they don't think. They practice awareness, mind like water. In her book she shows how the mental training of the professional singer involves disciplining the mind to set root out "interference", which are thoughts of good vs bad, should vs shouldn't, etc. The superior singer is free from egoistic thought patterns, enjoying the awareness of their body, music, and surroundings.

-John

I suggest to my students two "bookend" words that have sometimes enabled their voices almost magically: Intention and Expectation. Fully intend to do something vocally, and fully expect to be able to do it. Works for high & low notes, long notes, loud or soft control, and true communication. These two words have eliminated self-sabatoge and brought about breakthroughs with my students caught in cycles of fear of failure (which of course manifests in failure.)

Great subject, Darrison, truly.

The mind and body are intertwined in unusual ways. Trying to logically and simply get the mind to do or not to do something to the body-- this misses the point. There are vast literatures in philosophy, religion, and psychology that show the interaction of body and mind is complex; the solutions are also complex.

This isn't to say the mentioned ways are incorrect--they're just part of the complex answers.

And one thinks the mentioned ways works correctly--they do; except that the goal isn't recognized.

Well, another thing: There's the book "The Inner Game of Music" which the author patterned after his "Inner Game of Tennis" and wherein he teaches how to "let go" of the conscious barriers and "let fly" the innate muscle memories that transcend conscious thinking. Only one thing: When you're hitting a ball, you can see where it goes, so practice tends toward building better aim. In singing, we can't hear our voice until afterward, when we hear the recording and weep.

That's why everyone recommends HearFones when you're practicing, so you can access all the 'details' that lie in the upper partials and that fly away from your mouth completely unheard. Can you imagine learning how to write, when you can't see what you're writing? Same thing. Builds confidence.

Pete