In and out of my comfort zone

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I so want to share some of my singing and get some feedback, starting with my paltry studio output. Here is a pre-preview from Kiva, one of the bands I play with. These clips start with instrumental intros and cut out before the chorus, so when I get a chance I will edit some clips that are more centered on vocals:

http://www.kivasong.com/recordings/so_far_final.html I sing lead on "Spirit Waltz." This is from 2009.

http://www.kivasong.com/recordings/beauty.html I sing lead on "Star of the County Down." From 2002.

Feel free to browse around. I'm doing harmony vocals on lots of stuff from 2002 onward, and there are some other fine vocalists in the band.

Again, more vocal-centered clips to follow...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I've been playing for a few years. It's a cover from my good friend and musical co-conspirator Steve Strauss. Didn't want to give a way too many of his clever lyrics though.

Range for the lead is B2-B3, for the bass B1-E3. Key of Em.

Sorry for the unintended rasp in a few places due to morning clams.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so now I'm going a little out of the comfort zone. Here is some messing with mix in the car. Whether you call it mix, or pulling chest, these G4's feel pretty effortless (no matter how they sound :/ ), which should be the point, right? In the middle I think I'm compressing too much or starting to push, so it starts to distort. Guess I'm a little impatient to add volume! :lol: And notice how easily I flip into a yodel on the "EE" vowel toward the end.

Might not sound like much, but this is progress for an entrenched bass-baritone like me! Thanks to Phil for helping me out!

And another for the list of visualizations. This coordination and sound reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld in his old sitcom, yelling in surprise or outrage at one of his friends. Say "Elaine!" in a high crying tone! :D