Possible Acid Reflux problem - Any help greatly appreciated

Rate this topic

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim - Thats great! You found another non-medical-establishment remedy.. Ginger acts the same as apple cider vinegar - it promotes stomach acid to help digestion.

I'm not a doctor, but as I understand, reflux is a result of people not fully digesting their food because of not enough stomach acid (digestive enzymes). And then the undigested food along with stomach acid floats up the esophagus and causes inflammation around the larynx area.

The AMA and other worldly medical establishment's answer is NOT to get to the root of the problem, but rather mask the problem. They prescribe Nexium or Prilosec which reduces stomach acid even more. So when the undigested food goes up, it doesn't have any stomach acid with it. Of course this makes the underlying problem even worse.

The newer ND's have all the training of the MD's plus an extra couple years in learning to heal the body by finding the root cause. And the remedies involve using natural medicines as opposed to pharmeceuticals. If you knew you could eat a little ginger, or apple cider vinegar and your reflux would go away, who in their right mind would choose Prilosec instead? The MD's call ND's "witch doctors" but the ND's have more knowledge and training. Sorry for the rant - I'm fed up with the medical establishment these days. In my State I have to pay out of pocket for ND care as insurance doesn't cover these new "witchcraft" methods.:( I wish I lived in Portland Oregon!

exactly Geno, it is a better approach than meds in my experience.

but I would like also to add, there is a difference eating the vinegar in a salad and drinking with water for me. If I eat it with a salad for some reason it is too strong sometimes, but with water, its very helpful and I feel my stomach less irritated.

@ronws, my father used to hunt and I used to go with him as well. But my empathy grew a lot at my teenage years and this is one of the reasons I avoid eating meat. But when I feel that my body needs it, I eat it. I know when my body needs it because it doesn't smell bad to me like it usually does. When I stopped eating meat in big portions, it started smelling and tasting bad to me, especially the bacon. No matter how much seasoning I will use, it has that bad taste. And I didn't grew up with vegans, the opposite, my grandfather used to have sheep and he used to eat them every Easter and at the August 15 which is for us a big holiday for the Holy Mary. And I used eat the brains!:o:lol:

today I cannot even see them!

exactly Geno, it is a better approach than meds in my experience.

but I would like also to add, there is a difference eating the vinegar in a salad and drinking with water for me. If I eat it with a salad for some reason it is too strong sometimes, but with water, its very helpful and I feel my stomach less irritated.

That's interesting. The recommendation from my ND is 1 to 2 tsps of Apple Cider Vinegar added to a glass of water taken 30 to 15 min before meal.

If you are getting good results by drinking it after meals then it's probably fine. I don't know, maybe it would be more optimal drinking before as digestion starts as soon as you start eating.

If you are getting good results by drinking it after meals then it's probably fine. I don't know, maybe it would be more optimal drinking before as digestion starts as soon as you start eating.

That's the thing, I seem to be doing fine and I actually started taking less and only taking it when I knew I was eating a trouble meal (aka something spicy or containing tomatoes, alcohol etc) and today I noticed I had the slight symptom of needing to clear my throat when I was singing, and that was ~2 hours after my last meal.

So now I'm trying to figure out if sleeping elevated is curing my reflux and taking the vinegar is actually hurting my progress, or if I should take it before eating.

Time to experiment :D

• 1 month later...

Great thread, I went through my ENT and they prescribed me what everyone mentioned in this thread. It seems like cutting chocolate/coffee is one of the solution, I'll give that I go.

One other question, when I burp and feel some food coming up, is that a sign of GERD as well?

i'm certainly not a doctor, but when you burp, does a horrible tasting liquid come up?

this is also known as a wet burp. this may or not be a symptom of acid reflux...ask your e.n.t.

It does, but nothing horrible tasting.

I don't think I'll see my ENT anymore, cost me half a grand to see him twice. The TMV members on here were right about my condition, it was inflammation caused by GERD.

I know Phil told me to eat organic, so I'm giving that a go. Also drinking ginger before eating as we speak. I've had this condition for 4 months now, crossing my that this will be the end.

It does, but nothing horrible tasting.

I don't think I'll see my ENT anymore, cost me half a grand to see him twice. The TMV members on here were right about my condition, it was inflammation caused by GERD.

I know Phil told me to eat organic, so I'm giving that a go. Also drinking ginger before eating as we speak. I've had this condition for 4 months now, crossing my that this will be the end.

Edit: Also Bob, I'm taking your advice from the second page and trying to lose weight. Can't hurt to lose a few pounds. Got a gut I'd like to not see either lol.

Actually I never told you to eat organic. Not that it's bad, just that I never actually said that. what I showed you was a way of eating, no quick fixes.

Oops, my apology. Vegan was it? I usually get organic and vegan mixed up! Nevertheless, I have threw away my chocolate peanut butter, chocolate ice cream, limit food at night, and cut back carbs.

I also came across this helpful article http://chriskresser.com/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps.

Like many mentioned in this thread, I'm drinking ginger boiled water and lemon juice. I've also stopped taking omeprazole since I want to fix the root of the problem. I will likely buy HCL w/pepsin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I recently noticed that there's a point waaaay up in my range where I unintentionally break with some hoarseness and fry but below and above that is fine. I've mentioned how I have silent (larynx) reflux, and I noticed that my larynx burns a bit at that point also.

Here's three short clips of so-so quality, where I'm twanging pretty hard to see if that helps me through this spot (it doesn't):

https://app.box.com/s/gdjlvayft5znthar83ik

https://app.box.com/s/34saxhixi827rl7utf7u

https://app.box.com/s/rktmp60ho5hm21hgs03v

Now I don't know if it's from my reflux, the fact that I found I could sing in the second octave with way more power and resonance in a way that also tickles my larynx/throat (maybe it wouldn't tickle if I had no reflux?) or a combination, but currently my larynx seems irritated. Do you guys think I should not sing for a week or so and see if I can get this irritation/the break described above to go away or I could practice but just avoid any notes where I feel some larynx discomfort or the break occurs? It doesn't affect my vocal cords in anyway, just the surrounding tissue.

If it is hard to hear, I can make another clip using my mic instead of my built-in webcam mic.

@ronws, my father used to hunt and I used to go with him as well. But my empathy grew a lot at my teenage years and this is one of the reasons I avoid eating meat. But when I feel that my body needs it, I eat it. I know when my body needs it because it doesn't smell bad to me like it usually does. When I stopped eating meat in big portions, it started smelling and tasting bad to me, especially the bacon. No matter how much seasoning I will use, it has that bad taste. And I didn't grew up with vegans, the opposite, my grandfather used to have sheep and he used to eat them every Easter and at the August 15 which is for us a big holiday for the Holy Mary. And I used eat the brains!:o:lol:

today I cannot even see them!

My step-grandfather grew up in Montana, working summers on a cattle ranch until he joined the Army at 17. Anywa, for a while, he had a hard time eating steak because he remembered the cows with their brown eyes, swishing tails, and sweet dispositions.

Me, I could see a sable doe through the scope of a Mossberg .308 (700 series) with a 7.62 chambered. Slow down the breathing, wait for the heart rate to slow, and, between the breaths and heartbeats .... squeeze.

Crack! Followed by 2 hours of dragging 120 lbs back to a place to string and dress.

I love animals. And I love eating meat. The expert kill shot is humane. If not for me or my friend John, the deer would also suffer a longer and drawn out fate from being hunted by a wolf. Wolves kill deer and it takes a bit longer for the deer to die by means of live consumation from an apex hunter, like a wolf.

But I do have my predilections based on culture. China was trying to pass a law (no kidding) to allow Saint Bernards to be bred as livestock for food. I just can't eat a dog, if I can help. I have a dog and don't like the idea of eating him. I would rather go and shoot a deer.

• 2 months later...

I Just wanted to update people on here as it's been 6 months since I talked about the acid reflux problem. After various endoscopies and reflux tablets nothing really helped. ... long story short, they've now decided it's allergies not reflux and gave me a nasal steroid spray which really helps. I was worried about this drying out my mouth even more as I suffer from a dry mouth already but weirdly it does the opposite, No dry mouth, no hoarseness! Do any of you guys that sing for 2+ hours a day use beconase (UK)?

I Just wanted to update people on here as it's been 6 months since I talked about the acid reflux problem. After various endoscopies and reflux tablets nothing really helped. ... long story short, they've now decided it's allergies not reflux and gave me a nasal steroid spray which really helps. I was worried about this drying out my mouth even more as I suffer from a dry mouth already but weirdly it does the opposite, No dry mouth, no hoarseness! Do any of you guys that sing for 2+ hours a day use beconase (UK)?

I've had this strange niggle in my throat for a while, sometimes when I swallow, sometimes when I sing, sometimes it just "is" when I breathe. I had it examined and the ENT didn't really find anything, and the laryngoscopy proved there's nothing wrong with my vocal folds. It feels like something's drying out "below" my voice box, but it's not that big a deal. He said it sounds like a nightly acid reflux problem, and I might want to try and use some anti-reflux products right before going to bed. Haven't tried it yet, though, since I've been sick with cold for a couple of weeks.

The steroid nasal spray is something you don't want to use for a long period, but you probably knew that already. I think it was something like 2-3 weeks straight, and then a couple of weeks off. I don't remember why, but it has something to do with the mucosa and it's metabolism. I use Avamys here in Finland, but I'm moving to UK (Devon, actually, Christow to be exact) in a week, and I guess I need to find an alternative. Might try Beconase, then. :)

EDIT: Actually, after writing it out, my problem might have a lot to due with the flu going around here. That and the allergies related to the season are probably what've caused my problems. I'm pretty sure once winter season hits I'll be better.

Bob , They couldn't say! could be anything apparently? I've got dust mite protectors on my bed and mattress. Might pay to have an allergy test done if it continues. The weird thing is, it started back in the winter so fairly sure it's not hay fever.

Khassera .. Cool, you're moving to Devon. I'm more North Devon, you'll love it here :)

ah, i'm certainly not an expert but assume reflux too, because so many people seem to have it in one form or another or to one degree or another.

my suggestion would to just down a zantac once a day (it's not as potentially detrimental as a p.p.i.) or any acid reducer, medicinal or natural to make the acid less caustic.

kind of like an ongoing dilution strategy.