A few J.Cash cover songs.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi i have never really let anyone here me sing, There is a

strong country singing background in my family. I always

could sing in a deep voice and thats why i tried some

Jonny Cash. Please tell me what you think. Thanks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMb1QPKfuHU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=802Y_EYc8P8

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job! I can tell you've got a natural feel for the music, and you convey the emotion well. :)

It sounds like maybe you're damping your larynx a bit much, maybe to try to sound like Johnny, but too much and it strains the throat makes it harder to hit the higher pitches. You did seem to relax into it more by the middle of the songs. A little more relaxed and natural in the throat, and a little more open in the mouth would be my only suggestions.

Folsom Prison Blues - at the beginning, you were forcing the low notes and going a little sharp, probably from nerves. By the time you got to "hang my head and cry," you were relaxed. That is, you slowed down the air, released the throat, and just let the note hang out, regardless of volume. That is the way to do it, do that some more. And you can get closer to the mic, if you want to, on the low notes that have less volume.

Hurt - perfect, in my humble of opinion. I am not a singing expert, just a singer, guitar player, and fan of good singing and good songs.

Nice job! I can tell you've got a natural feel for the music, and you convey the emotion well. :)

It sounds like maybe you're damping your larynx a bit much, maybe to try to sound like Johnny, but too much and it strains the throat makes it harder to hit the higher pitches. You did seem to relax into it more by the middle of the songs. A little more relaxed and natural in the throat, and a little more open in the mouth would be my only suggestions.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Folsom Prison Blues - at the beginning, you were forcing the low notes and going a little sharp, probably from nerves. By the time you got to "hang my head and cry," you were relaxed. That is, you slowed down the air, released the throat, and just let the note hang out, regardless of volume. That is the way to do it, do that some more. And you can get closer to the mic, if you want to, on the low notes that have less volume.

Hurt - perfect, in my humble of opinion. I am not a singing expert, just a singer, guitar player, and fan of good singing and good songs.

Thanks alot man, Hurt seemed easier for me proble becuase

im always singing along to it lol

I know a song I want to cover is Cash's version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down." It was written by Kris Kristofferson but he feared he would be censored if he sang his own lyrics, "Lord, wishing I was stoned." Back then, stoned meant either under the influence of narcotics or drunk, interchangeably. Later, the american usage separated the two meanings.

I know a song I want to cover is Cash's version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down." It was written by Kris Kristofferson but he feared he would be censored if he sang his own lyrics, "Lord, wishing I was stoned." Back then, stoned meant either under the influence of narcotics or drunk, interchangeably. Later, the american usage separated the two meanings.

Johnny sang that song Live on TV. The censors at the time made him promise that he would change that line.

Kris did not want to back down from the original words. When Johnny got to that line. He looked right at Kris and with a defiant grin Sang the original words. That is why that line is a little louder and more pronounced than the rest of the words.

Another good job from me Josh87. No more to add from what the others have said. Only sing the songs as you would sing them. Do not try to emulate someone else. Use your own voice and style.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

And that's how singer songwriters like Cash, Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Willie, all became "outlaws." Because they were writing storytelling songs (country) but they did not limit song structure (jazz) nor lyric material (rock or even punk, before there was "punk"). And they bucked the Nashville establishment, finding ways to record on their own and find labels and distributors to get stuff out there. And a lot of times, carrying their merch on never-ending tours to sell directly at concerts. Which were also reasonably priced.

A model still followed today by Ray Wylie Hubbard. He is a songwriting legend and an outlaw in nearly every sense of the word and you can see him at most any small place in Texas, talk to him, shake his hand. And he's the one that wrote "Redneck Mothers."

Now, many years later after the turn of the century, "outlaw country" becomes a brand. Gretchen Wilson can sing "Redneck Woman" or do a duet with Ann Wilson from Heart and that makes her "outlaw." Outlaw becomes a packaging strategy.

And I agree with MDEW, sing like you wrote it. For you, too, are an outlaw. It's nice to hear something besides Journey and Iron Maiden and I like both of those bands, too.

My personal music library, including phonographs, includes an original ceramic pressing of a Billie Holiday album, To Level 242 (think stuff similar to Ministry), to Guns and Roses, Ronnie Milsap to Ronnie James Dio. Brave New Combo (modern polka) to some stirring renditions of Rachmaninoff's Concerto #2 in Cm. I can even listen to some rap and my favorite in that genre is Tone Loc, a former gangster who couldn't really sing but he had timing and expression that made it work. To me, he said everything that needed to be said in "Wild Thing" and "Funky Cold Medina." I have a cd of "Twisted Christmas" by Twisted Sister (something everyone should have.) And, as a lark, "Live and Sleazy" by the Village People. I've got just about everything that could be had by a working guy in America.