I never thought anyone else could sing Michael Matijevic...I was wrong

Rate this topic

kalapoka

Hey everyone,

The first time I heard Matijevic was much much earlier than the film Rockstar, in a cassette tape in mid 90s, and I never thought any other rock male singer could do what he does. Well after about 15 years, today I found this in youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyD1z2KeIkE&playnext_from=TL&videos=ZPub3qdJaM4&feature=sub

A small demo of Steelheart's classic 'She's Gone' by voice teacher Ricki Keith. Check him out!

That guy seems to have a great high neutral, tough song indeed.

Personally my favorite cover is

He's from South Korea, despite him not being perfect on the language he does a really great performance.

Great twang and emotion. :)

He's not the only one who can do that, although he does it well. And actually, many guys (well, STATISTICALLY, very few, at least untrained singers) can hit that highest note, i.e. the G5. I can often do that myself, although I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to attempt to cover this song with my band - I actually doubt it. But there is another Steelheart song called "I'll never let you go", which goes up to A5 and those 2 half steps do make a difference, IMO :) Usually, most rock tenor songs peak at the E5 at max, so you if you can nail that note on a consistant basis with your band and have a connected, full voice up to that point (even though the E5 will be very twangy), then you should be able to sing almost all rock songs ever! Indeed, this is my goal and my dream :)

fellow rocker annnnimals!!! (lol)

with all due respect, these types of notes are really not as hard to execute as they would like you to think. once you've discovered that upper head pocket you can play along in that area and have all kinds of greats sounds. but there's a world of difference between just hitting stratospheric notes vs. transitioning between various notes and registers. also between loud and soft passages.

take a listen to this song...to sing this song well you need so much...breath management, range, control, head and chest (and back again) transitions, emotion, octave jumps..and resonance..

and yet all you have here on the top is an a4..beautiful vocal. just my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWt5JAPnfn0

He's probably a great voice teacher, but as far as the actual performance goes, I think the asian guy (you know the one) has got him beat.

The vulnerability in his voice gives me chills!

HOLY !@#$!

this kid NAILED it and more!!! and did that SITTING. How is that possible?!

There are many rocksingers who is on similar level and above Matijevic, atleast based on technique.

I second that. There is definitely alot of talent out there - again technically speaking.

WHen it comes down to making music and performing - Technique is just a bonus, imo.

I think that there is too much focus on technique and it holds back many singers from doing what they really desire. Im talking from my own experiences and to tell you the truth - Too much focusing on technique almost ruined my singing, aesthetically. There is so much more to singing than just technique.

I think that there is too much focus on technique and it holds back many singers from doing what they really desire

i agree with you guys.

it also can take more effort than people realize. i don't like when some teachers say it's effortless.

it is not effortless. it takes a lot of work and mental discipline.

Hi,

The Asian kid is good. The vocal coach can hit the notes but his throat is puffing in and out. MY teacher told me to NEVER do that! She is an opera singer. *shrugging shoulders*

As far as David Pack of Ambrosia (song from Videohere), he is just doing his thing. He is delivering the message of the song the way he feels it and his perception of it. He is well within his range and style. Not trying to DO anything he is not comfortable with. It's pleasant, interesting and he's not screaming anything! He has good solid technique but he also knows how to deliver a song. IMHO

• 12 years later...